C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Play in steering...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Custum73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in steering...

:steering:

I have a little play in my steering. When my compadre turned the wheel as I looked at the components, I noticed a little play between the pitman arm and the power steering control valve. Is there a bushing on the pitman arm or on the valve that is subject to wear?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Swamp Thang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Play in steering... (Custum73)

There should be side-to-side motion, this is how the valve controls hydraulic assist. But there shouldn't be any up-down motion. There is no bushing, the pitman arm to ps control valve is a press fit. You could remove the cotterpin and recheck the torque of the stud bolt, maybe it wasn't installed tight last time it was apart. There also may be play is in the steering box itself, and the pitman arm is just moving with the shaft. Box rebuilds cost about $100., and if you don't know what shape the box is in, it's not a bad investment.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Control valve can have wear too! Corvette Steering in VA does good job on box and many sources for new/re-built control valves at Vette Forum vendors. The PS control valve does add some "slop" to system but, not too bad for a 1950's system (designed by Bendix in the 1950's!)
Old 05-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are used to rack and pinion streering, the old style will always seem like it has play in it. On early C3's there is a lock nut and screw on top of the steering gear box. Loosen the lock nut and adjust the screw. If you get it just a little too tight , the wheel won't return to neutral when you let go of it. There is a fine line where it is ok. Just don't expect it to ever feel like rack and pinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Play in steering...

Quick Reply: Play in steering...