C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autolite dbl plat, AC Rapid fire or plain jane AC's, I can't decide.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Custum73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autolite dbl plat, AC Rapid fire or plain jane AC's, I can't decide.

I'm going to replace plugs in my car. Autolite AP145 's are in there right now. I bought double platinum to put in. Carquest said they'd be better. Coworker of mine says to stick with AC plugs in GM motors. I posted a survey and everyone is running something a little different. AC has the majority. Anyone see benefits of running a platinum or dbl platinum plug compared to basic plug?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:24 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Autolite dbl plat, AC Rapid fire or plain jane AC's, I can't decide. (Custum73)

Regular Autolites in my 77. Last longer, better performance and gas mileage than AC's. Plats & Dbl. Plats are supposed to be better but I wouldn't turn around for the difference. Especially for the $$ if they're much higher. I ran the regulars 3+ years in a S-10 Blazer and they still looked pretty good. 2 years in the Vette, still good. I figure $15 or so ain't bad every year or two for plugs. I just can't see paying $4 to $6 for a plug that probably don't last any longer.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:59 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Default Re: Autolite dbl plat, AC Rapid fire or plain jane AC's, I can't decide. (Custum73)

Simply put, Double Platinum tip's are used with new DIS ignitions (super high output) from the O.E.'s (Ford-GM-etc). The O.E.'s save money by having the platinum on either the "ground" or the "electrode" depending on which bank the plug is installed in. This is a phonemon of DIS and coil packs. Aftermarket suppliers keep stock numbers down by making double tips for "fits-all" applications.

Unless your running a MSD high output ignition these are over kill. But they won't need to be change for quite awhile, as they have the platinum tips for wear issues with DIS. Original Bosch platinums have a platinum core not platinum tips that use to be the "in thing"
years ago.

I upgraded my GMC P/U to AC Double Platinum's just for the wear issues. This P/U is a pain in the A** to change plugs, especially with the headers.
Ran RapidFire's when they first came out. What cr*p, these made no difference and they "wore out" much faster than the stock AC#!

Your vette would require AC#41821 if you have brand prefference. But the Autolites you already bought are the correct plugs for your '73. Doubt you'll see much HP difference though.

[Modified by GasketDude, 3:01 PM 5/19/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Autolite dbl plat, AC Rapid fire or plain jane AC's, I can't decide.

Quick Reply: Autolite dbl plat, AC Rapid fire or plain jane AC's, I can't decide.