C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:01 AM
JMNBRZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX

Just rebuilt the vette myself.... still not perfect... not sure if she's going to make it all the way.... but as military life goes... orders are orders so I'm taking her half completed. Wish me luck cause I'll need it to get there! :thumbs:
Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX (JMNBRZ)

Have you mapped out a route? Depending on your time frame stop in Vegas for a night and then drive over to the Grand Canyon on your way east.

I've driven my old Vette straight through from Vegas to Arlington Tx. With the slight detour to the Grand Canyon and the place where the big meteor impact is in northern Arizona.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:38 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Oct of 1990 I drove my 73 Coupe from Baton rouge to Los Angeles, I-10 the entire route. I hope you have as much fun on your trip as I had on mine. A couple of tips: take some extra fuses along, somehow the constant vibration at 70+ mph seemed to promote shorts. Secondly, I had a couple of scary moments between gas stations west of San Antonio, slid into one on fumes one time. The are not alot of 24hr stations in some areas. Lastly, keep the top down or off, you will not be disappointed. :auto:
Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a list of Corvette clubs and repair shops specializing in Corvette repairs in all cities along the way. Also Chevrolet dealerships and towing companies.
Be certain to have a cell phone that works all along the way.
Many towing companies will only take cash so take enough to cover a 50 mile tow.
Help is easier to find on Interstate highways.
Install new fluid in trans and diff. Decent tires including spare and a couple of Fix-a-flat cans are a must.
A four wheel alignment is a good idea - be certain your rear strut rods are tight to hold camber setting.
You're driving across some HOT country. Be confident in your cooling system - spoiler, radiator, seals, shroud, pump, t-stat, belts, hoses, caps, etc.
Basic tools and fan belts are mandatory.
Good Luck!

[Modified by flynhi, 8:05 AM 5/19/2004]
Old 05-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX (flynhi)

Been back & forth between Calif. & Texas several times. The police run over the speed limit esp. in West Texas & nail the speeders from behind.
If you run fast enough, not a problem.

:cool:
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX (Ganey)

Ganey - Your 100% right!:) The highway patrol here is always exceeding the speed limit to catch people from behind.

so I use several safety items: radar and sharp eyes for police cars and maintian enough speed that they they never get me from behind when traveling.

:D

Although I did get stopped on the way to work last week. I told the motorcycle hiway patrolman that I wasn't really speeding! I'm just taking my time driving to work. Because if I was I wouldn't have been driving down the road only going 18 mph over. (He quoted me 73 in a 55 mph.) I told him I was just thinking about work and what I was going to be doing and that I usually drive 80+ here near my house at 5:45 in the morning with no traffic.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:34 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX (Ganey)

Good point by Ganey.
I've been using a Valentine One for a few months and it's GREAT! It has saved me at least two dozen times. It is amazingly sensitive fore and aft and discriminates well between various radar frequencies.
It's expensive but well worth it!

Get notified of new replies

To Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX

Quick Reply: Taking the Vette from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX