C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on differential condition

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:40 AM
SlixVett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions wanted on differential condition

I've got the rear suspension all removed to repair a bad trailing arm bearing. While the T/A's are at VanSteel, I'm debating what to do with the differential.

1973 L-48 4 speed with 75K total miles. Measured the side yoke end play at .030 on the left and .032 on the right. C-Clips are in place and the ends of the yokes show no wear or mushrooming. I can measure about 3/16 inch from the C-clip to the end of the yoke. The pin also shows no noticeable wear. The ring gear looks great and I can still see a nice crosshatch pattern on the clutches.

Will replacing the yokes (with hardened ends) improve the end play? I know there was (is) no spec on end play - is .030 acceptable?

Am I safe in replacing the yokes (and seals and C-clips), tapping in a drain plug, replacing the fluid and posi additive, and buttoning the thing up?

What about a heavy-duty cover? I'm adding the VB&P Dual-Mount composite spring and Smart Struts. The car gets mainly highway miles and only some occasional "spirited" driving.

All in all, I think the diff is in great shape considering it was put together when Nixon was in office and we had just left Vietnam.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: Opinions wanted on differential condition (SlixVett)

If you have it down and apart you can get a rebuild kit to replace the bearings and seals. However, it sounds like it's in good shape. 3/16" from the snap ring to the end of the yoke is about right .030" endplay could be better but depending on how many miles you expect to put on the car they may last you years. A HD cover is good,again if yours isn't broken and you carefully install the rear spring it will be fine. One thing I do is drill and tap a drain hole while it's out of the car,makes maintenance much easier in the future.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Opinions wanted on differential condition (gtr1999)

:iagree: but if your getting the dual mount a HD cover is pretty much pointless b/c the spring doesn't even mount to it any more.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:56 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: Opinions wanted on differential condition (Van Steel)

Thanks for pointing that out Dan. I didn't read that the first time and don't have first hand experience with that spring setup. :thumbs:
Gary
Old 05-19-2004, 04:59 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Opinions wanted on differential condition (gtr1999)

:iagree:
Everything that Gary said.
Your yokes are fine. My 75 was worn right through the ring groove !!! 113k miles.
I'd say you are about halfway through the life of your yokes.
Drill a drain hole if you want ... and button it up.

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions wanted on differential condition

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on differential condition