C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered new Steering From Corvette Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Just ordered new Steering From Corvette Steering

It has been a real struggle for me to decide on which way to go... Steeroids or Corvette Steering. I finally decided on the Corvette Steering system.
I went that direction because it seems like it is the least obtrusive way of doing things.It uses a new all in one Saginaw Powersteering box, similar to what is on new Jeep Grand Cherokees. It is a 12.7 to 1 ratio and is the same box used on Nascar cars.
You can use your original, PS-Pump, pitman arm and drag link (they have an adapter that replaces the guts of the ps control valve with a solid piece.) You pitch the cylinder and hoses.
The kit provides the new box, hoses and u-joint for the steering column. Tom Reina at Corvette Steering is a funny guy and a joy to talk to, call him up, he'll be happy to tell you all the ends and outs of what it takes to put the unit in.
The price is $675.00 (no sales tax for me) :D If I'd bought from Steeroids using the group purchase price, the cost would have still been well over $1000.00 for me (since I live in Texas and have to pay sales tax.)
:hurray: :hurray: no more ps-control valve replacements!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:09 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Just ordered new Steering From Corvette Steering (Smokehouse69)

Take lots of pics if you would please! Jim Shea and I have discussed the possibilities of putting this gear into a C3. Fitting all of the bolt holes to the C3 frame and putting that clamp-load on the C3 frame is one concern. Alignment to the steering column was another if an adapter was used. I'm interested to see how they pull it off.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'll do it! Tom said he'd ship it out tomorrow, so maybe I'll get it early next week. I'm going ahead and getting a jump this weekend and start pulling the old crap off!
Old 05-19-2004, 12:08 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

When you get the old steering box off, can you check to see if there are sleeves of any sort inside the frame rail where the bolts go through? Wondering if the frame takes the entire clamping load, or if there is any sort of internal support to prevent against collapse of the frame section.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Just ordered new Steering From Corvette Steering (ddecart)

Having done this mod myself I can tell you there are sleeves in the frame rail. Definitely a worthwhile enhancement to the steering system.

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Just ordered new Steering From Corvette Steering

Quick Reply: Just ordered new Steering From Corvette Steering