C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation

I installed a new cross gear for my tach drive distributor. After starting the engine I heard a loud screech from the distributor. I shut down and removed the distributor. After inspection I noticed that the brass end of the cross gear where it makes contact with the button was worn down and deformed. I did not tighten the coupler more than hand tight. Has anyone out there have a similar experience, if so, what is the proper installation process for the cross gear?

:confused:
Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation (Apocolips)

Sorry to hear that, I had problems with some of the aftermarket gears too. Is this a black gear with a brass button on the front face? If so, I returned 3 of them and bought from High Tech instead. The blacks ones I had, from 2 different sources, were junk.The gear was not cut correctly. I was told to file the end a littel to fit them. I machined the face .005" at a time to "fit" them and still had no luck,they bound up by hand in a vise.

I'm afraid you might have wiped out the new gear and the main shaft as well. If you do a search you should find info on this over the past 6 months. Call High Tech in FL and get their setup.
Gary
Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Re: Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation (gtr1999)

Thanks for the information. I think that the main shaft is still good to go, at least I hope. I'll pull it out and look at it when I get a free day off work. You mentioned a company called High Tech. I tried to find them on the internet but had no luck. Do you have a phone number, or an email address for them. Again thanks for the info. I'm still having a slow burn!

:confused:
Old 05-19-2004, 08:09 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation (Apocolips)

High Tech Innovations 1-800-777-1818 http://www.nstend.com/hightech
When you remove the end gear be sure when you reinstall it the spotface on the side fo the gear is in line with the rotor tip.otherwise you'll be 180* out. You shold check the lower bushing for wear and slop,it should be snug without much play. You can also add shim to the end to close the endplay down to about .010"
Good luck, this is not the first time I have heard of this happening. Always check the rotation by hand before installing the distributor back. The problem with these gears seems to have been around for a while?

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation

Quick Reply: Tach Drive Cross Gear Installation