C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove windshield trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:21 AM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you remove windshield trim

I'm chasing a windshield leak and thought I'd takea look at the frame. Have not been able to find procedure to remove chrome trim. Is there a procedure written up anywhere or can someone simply describe. I understand a special tool is required.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: How do you remove windshield trim (75 Hot One)

There's a special tool for it. If you have a good rapport with a body shop, they will probably take off for you free of charge. If I need to take it off, my body does it for me. It snaps back on.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Missileman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you remove windshield trim (75 Hot One)

There is a special tool, but it just makes the job easier. Anything that is thin enough to slide under the trim to release the tabs will work. In the past I have used dental hooks (50 cents at the hardware store), work great but the first clip is usually difficult. To release the tabs insert the tool from the glass side until it contacts the top of the trim. Then slide tool until metal contact is felt. This should be a tab. Pull down gently on the tab and the trim will release. Be careful with the tabs because they are secured under the glass and if they break your trim will be loose.
BTW, if your leak is caused by separation of the glass bonding glue, Permatex sells a non-hardening sealer that wicks into the gaps in the channel. Have had good results with this in the past.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: How do you remove windshield trim (Missileman)

The windshield trim tool is 7 or 8 bucks from snap-on.

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove windshield trim

Quick Reply: How do you remove windshield trim