C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:58 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed.

OK, here's the story. Last year at Carlisle I bought a Chrome A/C compressor from Mid America. With all the other projects it didn't get installed until about 3 weeks ago. Once the system was charged I was getting around 48 degrees out of the vents on a warm day which is adequate for me. The problem is noise. When the compressor kicks on it sounds like a boat horn. It whines in unison with the engine speed. When I was charging the system the clutch threw off a lot of metal chips every time it kicked on. I used a stethescope to listen to it and there is no noise coming from the body of the compressor. All the noise is located at the clutch. So here's the question. Since the system is otherwise performing well should I try putting the clutch from the old compressor (which worked fine) on the new one or should I give a call to Mid America and fight the battle of a 9 month old compressor that only has a 90 day warranty? Also, how much of a bear is it to replace the clutch assuming I can rent the right tool to pull it? I really don't want to discharge the system now that it's leak free and cooling properly. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed. (vettfixr)

You can replace the clutch.. You cannot do it however... don't even try..without the removal and installation tools. Auto zone will rent them or you can buy a better quality set at pep boys. If you can't find them I will lend you mine. Pay postage.You do not need to evacuate the system.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch has spring tensioners and rubber shock material in it. This is probably your noise source.
Yes you must use the tools to remove and install. When you remove the shaft nut, look carefully for the first snap ring. You will crush the compressor shaft with the removal tool if it is left on. Also you will need compressing snap ring pliers with enough length to remove the magnet from the compressor body. But it all can be done in place without evacuating.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:01 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed. (Larry B.)

Thanks, Larry. I'm pretty sure it won't be a hassel getting the tools. The local stores in my area all lend out tools for free. Is it a big deal to change the clutch or will i be looking at an hour or two tops to do the job?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on how tight the pulley/bearing assembly is on the compressor snout. Take off the shaft nut and clip. Remove the clutch plate with the special tool. Remove the clip holding the pulley/bearing. Gently tap off or use large jaw gear puller. Remove clip holding magnet and slide off compressor(easiest of the three.) Reverse assembly, using installation tool for the clutch plate. Watch the gap between the clutch plate and the pulley. Too little and the plate will drag with the AC off. Too much and the plate springs will overstress causing poor engagement and slippage of the clutch (could be your current problem).
Old 05-17-2004, 01:33 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed. (Missileman)

It sounds like you've been here before. :lol: I'll have to go home and check out the repair manual to see if all this is worth the effort. It doesn't seem to be a bad job to do but then none of these tasks do until you get into them.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed.

Quick Reply: A/C clutch noise. Opinion needed.