C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Ingnition Switch Removal /Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:59 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Default 68 Ingnition Switch Removal /Installation

I need to reconnect the pink lead from the dash harness back on to the ignition switch. Has anyone done this who can tell me the best way to do this without disassembling the dash?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 68 Ingnition Switch Removal /Installation (jaxlt1)

Look at the face of your ignition switch. You will see a tiny hole in it. Steps to removing switch and bezel:

1. Remove pos lead to battery
2. Insert key into switch
3. Take a straightened out paper clip, and insert it into the tiny hole in the face of the switch, press in while turning switch back and forth. When you get it just right, the tumbler will come right out. This is required to remove the bezel that holds the switch into the face of the dash. Wiggle back and forth with pressure on the paperclip, finesse it some, and the tumbler will come out. Dont get frustrated. It just takes a little finagaling
4. Once the tumbler is out, the ring bezel on the outside of the switch can now be removed. This is the trickiest part:

The ring bezel can be hard to remove. It is screwed on. So you turn it counter clockwise to remove it, The problem is getting a grip on it. Years of condensation, etc, makes it hard to get it of. Add to the fact its hard to grip, and if you do get a grip, its hard not to scratch the thing up. Also, watch the dash vynil itself, so you dont tear it with the tips of the pliers. The bezel has small indentations on the outside, almost as if a special tool would go on it, but darn if Ive been able to research one

I had to grip it with a pair of large pliers. It was difficult to remove (some rust, years of dash cleaner/protectant). It came off, but I has to sand and buff the sctraches back out. They are available aftermarket, but havent seen them for awhile

Ok, once the bezel is removed, the switch is easily removed, and access to the wire connector in the back is fairly easy. Hint. Change the little light bulb while you there that illuminates the switch
Old 05-17-2004, 08:11 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the quick and informative response. I'm removing the old TI lead and have to reconnect the pink wire off of the dash harness. Do you believe that there will be enough slack in the wires to do this?

Thanks,
Old 05-17-2004, 09:43 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive you will have just enough slack. I cant exactly remember at the moment. Onw way I REALLY got a lot of lcak for working room was to remove the center GAUGE console, then removed the switch as we talked about. You can them reach behind the switch form the gauage cluster console side, and bring the switch wiring around to the right, and you have lots of room
Old 05-17-2004, 10:41 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need to get in behind the switch, remove the upper plate from the center gage console. That's the plate that the wiper switch attaches to. Three screws hold it in place. Then you can reach right in and access the connector to the ignition switch. Remove the switch as MELVIN describes.

If your car has air, you will have air ducts in that plate instead of the word CORVETTE. I don't know how much more work is involved in taking the duct loose.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Ingnition Switch Removal /Installation

Quick Reply: 68 Ingnition Switch Removal /Installation