C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received dash pad and seat foam - need opnion on quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality

Just received a new dash pad and seat foam for my 75. The dash pad speaker holes look like they were drilled with three different drill sizes and the holes are not drilled in a straight line - they noticeably zig-zag especially along the outer edge holes. The foam has numerous voids, some the size of a quarter and one inch deep. I paid top dollar and the items were advertised as first quality.

I sent pics to the seller who is telling me the condition of all pieces is normal. Your thoughts?

I will not mention the seller as I am working on resolution. However, to return the items I am being told I have to pay a 20% re-stock fee. Geesh, when it rains it pours.

I cannot post pics, however I will forward if you email me.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Bob

[Modified by Bobbyg75, 7:44 PM 5/16/2004]
Old 05-16-2004, 09:09 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality (Bobbyg75)

I just re-upholstered my seats this week. I bought new trim covers and foam. The foam was ripped and had a few voids. I work for one of the largest automotive foam suppliers in the world, and was a bit unhappy with my foam that I bought from a Corvette parts supplier. You could tell it was made from bad tooling, and was manufactured in someones garage. But, I also know that with small volumes of this classic foam being made, that is the only way you can probably get it (made in someone's garage).

But, I can get C5 and C6 Production foam for free! I should grab a few pads and save them for a few years down the road!

Dwayne

:cheers:
Old 05-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

Default Re: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality (Bobbyg75)

Thanks for the input on the foam! Anyone with feedback on the dash pad?

Bob
Old 05-16-2004, 11:12 PM
checklst
Racer

I just recieved my new foam seats pads and the quality was not vary good rips and a few voids also, a little soft I wish it was firmer foam but it sure is better than what I'm taking off, and it will be covered by a set of high quality seat covers.

My new dash pad(from Willcox marked Corvette America) for my 71 is nothing short of perfect, best quality their is!!!!! Speaker holes perfect.

Willcox has a 30 day return after that date a re-stock fee, if its been less than 30 days it does not sound like your guy is being to fair.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:30 AM
CFL34
Cruising

Default Re: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality (checklst)

willcox is the best, tommy is great. everything and i mean everything was perfect i basically got a whole new interior through them :cheers:
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a GM Restoration Parts supplier for interior parts? No mention of this on the GM Restoration Parts web site. Although interior parts from the larger supplers seem to be of good quality, there's some variation. I ordered windshield pillar pads from Eckler's a few years ago. They arrived from Corvette America and were slightly different from original in the sharpness of the corners, location of the vertical crease and in the final fit (left a gap to the steel windshield frame). It would be nice to know if one it getting an OEM or equivalent part.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:36 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The seat foam isn't a big issue. You won't see the defects once it's installed and it won't affect the appearance of the seat covers at all. The original foam quality was nothing to write home about. I've heard the repro dash pads are not that good. The plastic reinforcement that is the pad's "backbone" is not as sturdy as on the original dash pads. I'd look for a good used one and dye it the correct color before I'd shell out the kind of dough that they want for the replacement dash pads.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:28 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my top dash pad and right dash pad from Corvette America. I got their NQP (not quite perfect) pieces at a significant discount from their regular prices. If I didn't point out the exact error you would never be able to find it. They have very nice replacement pieces.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:40 PM
SouthCarolina77
6th Gear

Default Re: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality (vettfixr)

I got my top dash pad and right dash pad from Corvette America. I got their NQP (not quite perfect) pieces at a significant discount from their regular prices. If I didn't point out the exact error you would never be able to find it. They have very nice replacement pieces.
:iagree: I went the NQP route for my dash pad and I'm happy with it too.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:43 PM
ejr76
Intermediate

Default Re: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality (SouthCarolina77)

:iagree:
Old 05-17-2004, 03:45 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a pair of NQP door panels from Corvette America and if it wasnt for the sheet describing the issue attached to the shipping carton I would have never have noticed.
If the dash pad is as bad as you say, then return it and get anopther one, because if its bugging you know, it will definately bug you once its installed on the car.

Nick
Old 05-17-2004, 06:10 PM
HDIronman
Pro

I received my new seat foam last week from wilcox, and the quality is quite good. There are no tears and no voids. Pics are below.

Beware, pics will fill your whole screen if you click on them, but you see better detail.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:00 PM
BIGBYRD1993
Drifting

Cruise-In XI, XII Veteran
NCM Lifetime Member & Ambassador

Default Re: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opinion on quality (checklst)

Who is Willcox??? Never heard of them.. How do I get in touch with them??
Old 05-17-2004, 09:03 PM
R 73 454
Racer

Who'd you get the dash pad from? 20% restocking fee... :bs we need to know who to avoid! I'd fight long and hard for a FULL refund, As far as the foam, don't know. Keep updating us please! :cheers:
Old 05-19-2004, 11:47 PM
REDRED62
Instructor

Seat foam should not have void spots in it. No foam is perfect though. Dash pad holes should line up and not waffer.

red

[Modified by REDRED62, 12:15 PM 5/20/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Received dash pad and seat foam - need opnion on quality

Quick Reply: Received dash pad and seat foam - need opnion on quality