C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:08 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them.

Well, as I just got the 406 back in and am waiting for my comp polymer distributor gear I figured I would take the wheels off and go shine them up a bit.

I noticed the studs looked a lot shorter on the rear passenger side wheel...
After measuring them they only came out 3/4" past the rotor...
Not good as this left me with very little thread engagement.

I'm surprised I hadn't checked this before but somehow I didn't notice.

After taking the rotor off and getting a new set of studs I noticed something peculiar: There is no way to install these studs with the dust shield...so I take another look at the studs that are on there....they were ground down so they would fit on without taking the dust cover off!!! :eek: :eek:

Thanks Bubba. :smash:

So, I have a new set, but how on earth do install them? It looks like I could cut a small section out of the dust cover and use it as an access hole (the bubba in me is pushing me in this direction :lol:). I'm assuming the only other way is to remove the spindle? If its not toooo involved I'm up for it, any help?

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 05-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them. (VETDRMS)

You are correct in all of your assumptions! I think the stock stud length is 1.75 inches.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:39 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them. (Older Than Dirt)

Well, I managed to clearance little spot to where I can get the studs in.
My question is, what is the best way to get the studs out of the spindle, and what is the best way to get them back in?

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 05-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them. (VETDRMS)

I gave mine a big whack with a BFH. :D

To install them I used some old lugnuts and washers for spacers. An air impact tool and socket makes it easier and quicker.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:51 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1:00 position has the most clearance behind the shield, otherwise you'll run into the spindle support...
Old 05-16-2004, 08:18 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them. (427V8)

Well, that certainly was more easy than I was thinking. I clearanced a little spot on the dust shield at around 1 o'clock and the studs came out with a couple well placed hits. I also found a good way to get the studs pulled through. I took a 1/2" nut and slid it over the stud, then used an old acorn style lug not which centered itself on the 1/2" nut so as the stud was pulled through it wouldn't ride over the threads in the 1/2" nut. They all went in just fine. :)

Kind of a moot point as I'm going to put in some longer studs in the near future for a set of slicks i'm getting, but its nice to know its not a hazzard in the time being!

Thanks again!

:cheers:
Old 05-17-2004, 01:58 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Hack a hole in the dust cover for clearance. Give the old studs a sharp whack with the aforementioned BFH. Place the new studs in the freezer for an hour or two, place them and give them a quick whack using the BFH and a nice 3/4" piece of steel rod as a drift.

Or remove the spindles and have new ones pressed in like it's supposed to be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them.

Quick Reply: Bubba changed the wheel studs, some help on replacing them.