C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypass stock engine kill on an '81???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 09:33 PM
skeptic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bypass stock engine kill on an '81???

I've had intermittent issues where I'd have to lock then unlock the passenger door or similar nonsense to get the engine kill to disengage. I just replaced my starter and I'm not getting power from the switch to the solenoid, and while it sounds like an unlikey coincidence that the engine kill would completely freak out during a starter swap I don't want to rule it out.

So how can I disable or bypass the stock alarm system's enging kill in my '81? It's a 4-spd not an auto if it makes any difference. As long as I'm asking, how can I bypass the clutch lockout as well?

:banghead:
Old 05-16-2004, 03:25 PM
skeptic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bypass stock engine kill on an '81??? (skeptic)

Older Than Dirt gave me a quick rundown in another thread, but I'll post the answer as I understand it here in case someone in the future does a search:

Under the console by the ashtray is a relay that on my '81 has 4 wires, a solid purple, 2 purple with white lines, and a black with white line. The black/w wire is from the alarm/anti-theft system. If there is voltage between the black/w and a purple/w wire while trying to start the car then the anti-theft is on and you can't start the engine. With my limited understanding it would appear that if you pull or cut this black/w wire then no current will get to the relay and the anti-theft system is bypassed.

For easy access to this relay, pull the side panels off the console between the seats, then remove a few screws and carefully lift the center console up a few inches. Bubba has previously done this on my car and permanently removed about half the screws (broke the plastic connections). :rolleyes: My only question on this is whether cutting this wire will really bypass the anti-theft system and let the car start. With a bit of practice, an informed car thief could easily yank the side panel off and snip that wire in under a minute. Stop the joyriders yes, but for a manufacturer designed anti-theft device, it seems a bit weak.

[Modified by skeptic, 3:27 PM 5/16/2004]
Old 05-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Bypass stock engine kill on an '81??? (skeptic)

My only question on this is whether cutting this wire will really bypass the anti-theft system and let the car start. With a bit of practice, an informed car thief could easily yank the side panel off and snip that wire in under a minute.

[Modified by skeptic, 3:27 PM 5/16/2004]
If you cut the the blk/wht from the relay it will become inoperative from the theft deterrent system. How do you think I "acquired" my 81? :jester
Glad she's up and running! :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Bypass stock engine kill on an '81???

Quick Reply: Bypass stock engine kill on an '81???