C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone shave their door handles?

Old 05-15-2004, 10:38 AM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone shave their door handles?

Im thinking of shaving my door handles because the front end we're going to get is the tilt one, and one of the things that really attracted me to the tilt front end is that it has no headlight, hood, bumper lines in it, its all just one piece, so im thinking of extending this theme to the whole car, including filling the rear bumper line, and maybe shaving the door handles, so i could get that clean smooth look of uninturpted body lines.....(yeah, i sound a bit crazy but i couldnt find a better way of describing it)
So has anyone shaved their door handles? What kind of mechanism ar you using to open/close them? We dont have a lot of money so im thinking of making my own bubba contraption to open and close them, but dont know how to get it all working together AND on remote control.........

by the way this is what i was talking about when i said smooth clean look, its big632 car, i hope he doesnt mind me using his picture, but its TOO COOL

[Modified by killervette666, 9:40 AM 5/15/2004]
Old 05-15-2004, 10:41 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: anyone shave their door handles? (killervette666)

I thought about it but looked it over and discussed it with my friends and we decided that the chrome handles accentuate the curve and we thought it might not look as good with out them.

I did shave my aerial though. that makes the rear of the car flow much better.

[Modified by MikeC, 10:41 AM 5/15/2004]
Old 05-15-2004, 10:16 PM
rob75383
Pro

I have thought about getting my handles 'shaved' too.
One of the previous owners removed all of the emblems off the car with the exception of a customized POW/MIA emblem that was put into the gas lid.
I'm holding off, though, till I rewire my car (translation: in about 10years). I don't want to be stranded with a dead battery, and no way of getting into my car.
For my version, I plan on removing the outside mirrors too, and using small convex mirrors up by the visors, on the inside of the car. I also want to fill in the decorative (non-functional) rear grille's, which serve no purpose, other than holding water.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:19 AM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: anyone shave their door handles? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I shaved the door locks off, but the door handles were beyond my want to figure out how to get underneath that spot of the door. So I did the next best thing. I painted the door handles body color. Can't even tell they're there.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Viken
Advanced

yes, as a matter of fact i did shave my handles... looks great, and gets tons of compliments... the glassing was pretty easy, though there are some issues... i originally went with the high end autoloc kit... 50lbs solenoids worked great... for a while, until they froze with rust (no rubber boots, and no warranty by autoloc)... also their remote controller is very poor in my opinion... friends alarm remote was able to open my doors continuously... right now i'm running 35lbs solenoids with boots, and they've been pretty good though the extra pull was nice... also i rewired the system to a DEI alarm, which works wonderfully... right now i need to focus on keep the solenoids in the door dry, and keeping the tension down... be ready for a lot of tweaking, and getting in the doors... also, apparrently it's illegal at race tracks and impossible to get a saftey check... or so i'm told... :D
Old 05-17-2004, 04:31 AM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: anyone shave their door handles? (Viken)

also, apparrently it's illegal at race tracks and impossible to get a saftey check... or so i'm told... :D
Is it true???

I guess it make some sense, if you're burning up in the car, there's no way for anybody to open the doors and drag you out of the car...
Old 05-17-2004, 09:23 AM
carnut114
Racer

Default Re: anyone shave their door handles? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I have shaved door handles and locks on my camaro. In addition to the remote i put a button in the wheel well on the drivers side to open the door and this was acceptable to the tech dept at the track.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:45 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I shaved my door handles once but the stubble keeps growing back. Next time I'm just going to wax them and be done with it!!

:jester

Get notified of new replies

To anyone shave their door handles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone shave their door handles?