C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tremec shifter question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tremec shifter question for you guys

I posted this also in the C2 section, but you guys seem to do more crazy fabrication type stuff!

Has anyone taken closeups of the shifter and how the mechanism works? I am trying to figure out how they moved the shifter off to the side and connected it to the central shift rail mechanism.

I am trying to fabricate one of my own, iteration #1 is the stock tremec 3550 shifter that I cut down, and tig'ed back together with a 1/4" bar stock that moves the handle over 2" and lowers it about an inch. The Keisler shifter however is REALLY low and way off to the side. I would like to try and duplicate what they have done...

Any pics or ideas?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Birdball
Racer

Default Re: tremec shifter question for you guys (Birdball)

I though about it some more, and I think this may be possible: bare with me...

In the stock configuration, the bottom of the shifter stalk (the ball end) slips into a round bore in the central shifter rail. The bore faces up to accept the ball end.

If you move the shifter tower over a couple inches from the central rail, you could make or rotate the aluminum block on the rail so the bore faces to the driver side of the car. Now on the bottom side of the shifter, you would do a right angle and extend the ball over to connect into the bore.

So now, when you move the shifter side to side, you are still rotating the rail about its axis just like normal, and when you row it to go from say 1st to 2nd- you are still translating the rail as normal.....

Does this make sense??? Is this how the Keisler trans does it?
Old 05-15-2004, 11:33 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the cut it off low and weld in a spacer method. I have seen pics of the keisler setup and it is pretty much the same. If you go to the Keisler website and look at the 6 speed for a C3 there is a pic of the shifter.

Here is a pic of mine that I did.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out these two sites http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/zwed...mec/tremec.htm http://earchitect.50megs.com/corvette/gearedup.htm
Old 05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hey Matt. I'm looking at this same sort of thing now. Swing by on Monday (I'm in a tech-review conference call all day :yawn: ) I should have pice of what I've got going right now.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Birdball
Racer

Default Re: tremec shifter question for you guys (ddecart)

Thanks for the links Norval, I was just looking at those sights.

Dave- I'll stop by, I gots an idea too. I am thinking you could remote mount the shifter anywhere you want and run the for/aft motion and side to side motion of the shifter shaft block with short cables much like you would with an automatic... I'll sketch it out and see what cha think. Would be nice though to see an actual Keisler apart. It looks like they are using a second shifter shaft in parallel with the long one that runs the length of the trans...

Get notified of new replies

To tremec shifter question for you guys

Quick Reply: tremec shifter question for you guys