C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Engine help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 PM
amcom6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Need Engine help!

I just changed the intake manifold on my 383. As I was trying to turn it over there was a loud slam, like metal hitting. I pulled the number one plug back out and bumped it to the mark right after air blew out. Lets call the normal position of the distributor cap at this point 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock would be the front of the engine. Now the cap is pointing about 2 o'clock. Did I loose a timing chain? What do I need to look for at this point. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Need Engine help! (amcom6)

I can think of several possible causes of your problem but I'll suggest the most likely first. If the position of your distributor changed by itself either it wasn't properly installed or something broke (or both). Considering that the only variables involved here involve the reinstallation of the distributor, I'm inclined to suspect that the "loud slam" you heard was the tang at the bottom of the distributor shaft engaging the slot on the oil pump drive. That would explain the change in the position of your distributor also. If that is the case, the distributor would now be loose and turn freely.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:37 AM
amcom6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Need Engine help! (Vetterodder)

I can think of several possible causes of your problem but I'll suggest the most likely first. If the position of your distributor changed by itself either it wasn't properly installed or something broke (or both). Considering that the only variables involved here involve the reinstallation of the distributor, I'm inclined to suspect that the "loud slam" you heard was the tang at the bottom of the distributor shaft engaging the slot on the oil pump drive. That would explain the change in the position of your distributor also. If that is the case, the distributor would now be loose and turn freely.
The Distributor will not turn freely. It will only fully engage at 2o'clock and 7o'clock. I even swaped it with a spare at this point to verify the problem was not the distributor. I think is't something else.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:17 PM
amcom6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Need Engine help! (amcom6)

ttt
Old 05-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Desertvette
Instructor

Default Re: Need Engine help! (Vetterodder)

I believe the distributor cap should be off and looking fwd from the drivers seat, the rotor tip should be about the 1 o'clock position when fully installed
The engine makes all sorts of strange clanks and bangs when the timing is off.
It sound like your method for positioning TDC is correct just try reinstalling to the 1 oclock position. By the way make sure the plug wire at that position is going to the nbr 1 plug.
If the distributor won't go all the way down you will have to pull the distributor and allign the oil pump rod slot or you can use the unapproved method and after everything is lined up right just hit the starter. Since the dist gear is already meshed it will just turn until it aligns and falls down by itself into the oil pump rod slot.
LOL Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Need Engine help!

Quick Reply: Need Engine help!