C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:31 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts

I just got my order back. It took almost 6 weeks, but the belts look great! The only issue is that as I unwrapped one of the lap belts - which was done with a new retractor that they provided - the (plastic) side of that retractor let go, showering me with 4 feet of coiled spring. It cut my face and then bounced off the window, ceiling and wall. I called them this AM. They were very apologetic! I shipped the defective piece back and they promise a quick turnaround so I can finish this up. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks! :eek:
Old 05-14-2004, 04:34 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts (djcwardog)

Who did it & how much?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:21 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts (mvftw)

http://ssnake-oyl.com/

I needed a new retractor ($75) and the total was just under $400. This included recoloring the "Chart Boots" (the plastic sleeves that silde over your buckles) to match the new fabric. They sent me a fabric sample before they began work. They travel to the shows and will take your belts right there... Otherwise, you can ship them in.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 693 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Was that for lap belts both side? Thanks, Charles
Old 05-14-2004, 05:42 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts (Mako72)

My driver's side retractor also was bad. They said that 30 years of water had rusted it up badly. I had them reweb all four belts. Prices were:

1 retractor - lower $75
4 reweb retractor $55, total of $220
2 recolor front boot $9, total $18
1 recolor chart boot $9
1 chart boot $20
1 rechrome buckle cover $12.50

Total was $376.45 including shipping back to me. I paid shipping to them.

These guys do GM, Ford and Mopar classic cars - not just Vettes. They advertise in the popular Corvette mags. They take in your belts (I would recommend sending them the entire set - lap and shoulder, as well as all the plastic sleeves: "Chart Boots" - so all the fabric matches and so they can paint the boots to match, although I guess you could do one side at a time... as long as they keep the lot # of your fabric in stock), evaluate them, and then send you a quote. They rechromed one of my buckles as well. They can restore whatever needs it. They match the fabrics that were stock for any year of car and I am told that they duplicate the factory stitching patterns - confirm with them if this worries you. They reuse as much of your stuff as they can. Depending on the year of car, they can recreate the belt labels (either verbatim off the ones on the belts you send, or reconstructed if you give them dated build data) and sew them on for you - for extra money. For my 1973 they were out of stock on the labels, so I could not have that done. As the belts I sent in were not the original belts for my car, they had no labels to go off of anyway. I decided to just go with the rewebbing of what I sent in and worry about labels later - if ever. This is not a 100 point resto car - it's a driver. I didn't have to ask, but I figure they could do up a complete set of belts even if you sent none in for them. The fabric color they selected is spot-on for my interior - great job there! Just too bad about the exploding retractor - they need to pack more carefully perhaps...?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 693 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks Dave. My driver's lap retractor did the same thing. I switched the passenger retractor over to the driver's side for the time being. Need to send it in. Charles
Old 05-15-2004, 05:46 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:thumbs: Great report. Thanks for posting all the info. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts

Quick Reply: Ssnake-Oyl Seatbelts