C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riddle me this......

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Simba
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riddle me this......

Hey guys,riddle me this.......i have red and black battery cables.......red one on passenger side, black one on drivers.....black one has a green screw-in plug(kill switch?)....they both have top mount style clamps........the red one goes out the battery box and screws(grounds?) to my frame......i cant see where the black one goes but i do have continuity at my battery cable that hooks to my starter hot pole(the big one)..........which one is my positive cable red or black? :confused:
Old 05-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: Riddle me this...... (Simba)

Sounds as Bubba has been there... :lol: :lol: Actually sounds like the black is now your positive... Dave..
Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

They were both black from the factory. The one that goes to the frame is the ground. Rather than Bubba, red may have been the only premade cable available at the local parts house. Crimpers for 4/0 are expensive.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The real answer is what is on your battery. Each terminal should have a marking ( + or -). I agree with the previous post - hopefully, bubba just put a wrong colored wire on the negative terminal. The positive cable is about 3 - 4 feet long and winds around up to the starter.

Re your question: It sounds to me like your positive cable is black! It should have the + near the terminal on the battery also.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Simba
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Riddle me this...... (Z-man)

There was no battery when i got the car.......and to change the post orientation all you have to do is spin the battery around.....and i automatically assumed red meant positive.........how careless of me .....so i hooked the battery up backwards.......and poof!!!!!!!! i have the battery in correctly now and the car cranks and it didnt fry my alt again.....so now what else did i fry? any ideas?...........

[Modified by Simba, 1:27 AM 5/14/2004]
Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The radio and electrical motors (wipers, elec windows etc depend on polarity for direction) should be the only things which are polarity conscious. I dont think turn signal a re affected but the flasher canister is easy to change.
Good luck!
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Riddle me this......

Quick Reply: Riddle me this......