C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

displacement and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 05:48 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Default displacement and gas mileage

how much does displacement affect gas mileage? example, how much harder on gas would a 406 SBC be than a 350 SBC? also, what would be harder on gas, a 427 SBC or a 427 BBC? I know all things being equal the big block will make more power since the heads flow better, so that would mean its more efficient right? but would the extra efficiency be enough to overcome the extra weight? i know you don't buy vettes for fuel economy but witht the price of gas nowadays it's something to keep in mind. thanks, Adam
Old 05-13-2004, 06:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: displacement and gas mileage (hubes)

Well....everyone can draw their own performance standards and equations to suit that need, and then come up with a compromise based on reality....

I figger a clutch near 400 hp from ~350 ci, and so forth in a 3300 lbs car is a somewhat reasonable standard, not fast, not slow, just half-fast....

but any car significantly slower than that, meaning 3-4 seconds/ 1/4 mile is getting pretty poor, and anything really SIGNIFICANTLY faster than that is really getting edgy on fuel economy....I realize this is all IMO, and SWAG, but well given the AFFORDABLE easily transplanted tech available today, that seems the limit.....

sure, for instance I could get a late LS1 and maybe transplant it into my shark, but in the final **** ysis, what is the total gain over the next say 5 years....??? I got nearly 400 hp now, at 20 mpg or so....freeway....

so I get say 28 mpg??? you all with the handy andy jim dandy calculator figger out that cost/bene ratio.....I allready know it's out to lunch....

GENE
Old 05-14-2004, 06:32 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Re: displacement and gas mileage (mrvette)

good info.....but not really what was lookin for, thanks anyway
Old 05-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: displacement and gas mileage (hubes)

Probably lose a couple of mpg with a 406 over a 355.

[Modified by Schmucker, 5:49 PM 5/14/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To displacement and gas mileage

Quick Reply: displacement and gas mileage