C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed rear rotors, had do adjust parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Changed rear rotors, had do adjust parking brake?

I changed all the rotors and calipers on my car. Last night I installed the rear rotors and calipers. The drivers side slipped right into place. However, the passenger side wouldn't go on. I used the adjusting screw on the bottom of the assembly to pull the parking brake drum pads in to fit the new rotor over them. I had to turn them a lot to get the rotor on. Is that normal or did I just screw them up?

I think I'm gonna have to adjust the drivers side because I can't turn the rotor period now. Is it possible to adjust the parking brake with the rotors on?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: Changed rear rotors, had do adjust parking brake? (Ak. Mal)

there should be a hole in the rotors that allow you to reach the star wheel to adjust the parking brake. The parking brake is normall adjusted with the rotors on the car.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Changed rear rotors, had do adjust parking brake? (Ak. Mal)

I had to turn them a lot to get the rotor on. Is that normal or did I just screw them up?
It's pretty normal.

To adjust the parking brakes, there should be another hole in your rotor hat. Rotate the wheel until the hole lines up at the bottom with the adjusting screw and use a big screwdriver or one of those drum brake adjusting tools to move the adjuster. I usually tighten them down until they don't budge, then loosen them up until they can turn by hand. You will still hear the new shoes grinding slightly. After you use them for a week or so, they should be adjusted so that 3 - 4 clicks up on the parking brake handle is enough to stop the car on a gentle slope (garage).

Get notified of new replies

To Changed rear rotors, had do adjust parking brake?

Quick Reply: Changed rear rotors, had do adjust parking brake?