C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage rack trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 04:13 PM
68350hp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage rack trouble

The luggage rack on my '74 is starting to get spots of surface rust on it. It usually comes off with an sos pad or some buffing with a towel. It not too bad but it get annoying when you have to do it almost every 2 weeks. I tried Harley chrome cleaner on it and it was fine for about a month before the rust came back. Due to very limited space the car sits out during the driving season. Is there anything I can use to prevent the rust?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:37 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Luggage rack trouble (68350hp)

Once it starts, if the car sits out, the only thing to do is replace it. Wish I had a better answer but it really is the only answer.

If you do replace it. Consider stainless steel.

You could also get rid of it and just have that part of the car painted. Pretty easy to do. If you pay someone plan on spending $500.00 - $750.00.

Having no rack makes it easy to wash and wax too.

I had a rack on mine when I bought it. I like the look without the rack.

Good Luck!

Bill :)
Old 05-13-2004, 07:04 PM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Luggage rack trouble (68350hp)

I have the same trouble, so I took my rack to a local replating shop. The owner told me not to bother, go buy a new one, since it would cost over $500 to rechrome! Corvette Central sells them for about $160. If you decide to buy a new one, measure precisely the distance between the well nut holes, and provide that info to the sales rep over the phone. There were so many slightly different bolt hole patterns used on these things, you can't trust the generic year groupings in the catalog. When I buy a new one, I'm going to stick with chrome, as this one lasted 30 years and I keep my car garaged. Not sure if the stainless steel rack will look original/shiny enough...

Get notified of new replies

To Luggage rack trouble

Quick Reply: Luggage rack trouble