C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 03:08 PM
masters
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE

In what order ,from best down, would you rate aftermarket heads for street performance from idle to 5500rpm. What intake runner size would be
best with a performer intake and xe262 cam?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:43 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE (masters)

:lurk:
Old 05-13-2004, 05:58 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I know that the AFR 195's are the bomb. I went a little cheaper and got Pro Topline 200's. They have a great reputation and are one of the least costly aluminum heads out. They claim to flow better than any other head in the world, and as far as I can tell, no one argues that point. I would say though, that 200cc's is a bit much for your cam. Either get a bigger cam or maybe go with 185's. By the way, I still have the Vortec's on my car and for the money, you can't beat them.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE (79VetteMike)

What engine size., year of Vette, transmission, and rear end gears are all factors needed to properly size your heads. I would say a World products SR Torquer or Edlebrock perfromer heads will fill the bill for your RPM range. The SR Torquer 64cc chamber heads have the better combustion chamber size and layout than the larger chamber heads. The answer these heads are "the bomb" is quite correct, those heads will make your Vette slow at low engine sppeds unless you nhave a very large displacement engine, you will want to detonate "a bomb" in your Vette because it will embarrass you!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:46 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE (Solid LT1)

What engine size., year of Vette, transmission, and rear end gears are all factors needed to properly size your heads. I would say a World products SR Torquer or Edlebrock perfromer heads will fill the bill for your RPM range. The SR Torquer 64cc chamber heads have the better combustion chamber size and layout than the larger chamber heads. The answer these heads are "the bomb" is quite correct, those heads will make your Vette slow at low engine sppeds unless you nhave a very large displacement engine, you will want to detonate "a bomb" in your Vette because it will embarrass you!
Are you really as stupid as you appear?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:41 AM
masters
Intermediate

1978 4-speed with 3:36 gears
Old 05-14-2004, 08:55 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

I just ordered up a TrickFlow setup from Summit. Had everything in the package - gaskets, timing chain, RR, Bolts, push rods, lifters, cam, heads, etc.

I couldn't purchase all the parts cheaper even with Iron heads. :thumbs:

I'm not sure if anyone else has any experience, but it looks great. I just need to finish my tear down and reassembly.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Aftermarket heads are pretty easy. FLOW = POWER
The only real decision is alum ($$$$$) or iron ($$$)
With your setup, Iron -- SR torquers or Vortecs
Alum -- AFR180's or TrickFlows

Try and find some AFR 180's since I think they have been discontinued so the price should be better. The 195's will probably be overkill with just your intake and the 262 cam. Anything is better than your stock heads !!!!!

Chevy HiPo magazine did an extensive head comparo a few years back, http://www.chevyhiperformance.com
Happy reading and remember on the street, Torque is king so don't be overly concerned with HP

[Modified by Fast81, 9:36 AM 5/14/2004]
Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I'll be building my 72 350-200 hp motor. I plan on using the WP S/R Torquers I bought. They have 67cc chambers, 202/260 valves and I ported and polished them-mostly polished them. I plan on using a CC 260 cam,performer intake,stock pts distributor,and maybe headers into 2.5" pipes.
I don't know what the HP or Torque will be but the combo should be better then the stock setup was. Last year the heads were $659 new, delivered and assembled. Don't know what they run now?
Gary
Old 05-14-2004, 02:18 PM
masters
Intermediate

THE VORTEC HEADS WITH THE PERFORMER VORTEC INTAKE WON'T FIT UNDER THE STOCK HOOD OF A 1978 WILL THEY?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:21 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

That's what's on my '79 right now and it fit. You may need a short air cleaner though.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Are you really as stupid as you appear?[/QUOTE]
Your lucky you live in the God Forsaken backwater you do, because I'm sure my Vette would BLOW YOUR DOORS OFF! if you lived in my neighborhood! Keep a good eye out for the weather report, maybe you can get lucky and a big twister will destroy your Vette and you can try to get it right the next time! When you come out to California, Email me for an a** kicking at the racetrack at anytime! I'll be there at either the autocross races or the drags and bring some new door hinges and latches when you come out! Here's the car to look for lets see a photo of your glass back, luxocruiser, bad ride so I can look if I ever make it back the "the dust bowl" of America Just for the record you idiot, Pro Action also makes 180cc heads that would probably be better suited to whatever engine you have in you 79 Vette unless its a 406 cu/in or bigger motor, with all that heavy 5MPH bumper bracing on your 79, you should probably build an engine that large to hall your excessive weight around with! You obviously don't really know a lot about how the Otto cycle engine works if you are not interested in: car weight, transmission type and rear end gear ratio when selecting engine parts like heads and cams! When you make it to California, I'll bet $500 my car will kick your cars a** at any venue you pick except the weight scales, I'm sure you have me beat there!

[Modified by Solid LT1, 8:06 PM 5/14/2004]
Old 05-14-2004, 11:38 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:chill: :lurk: :(
Old 05-15-2004, 05:41 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Yep...you are as stupid as you appear. The guy asked for opinions and I gave him opinions. No need to come on and berate other people just because they answer someone's question. I won't have a battle of wits, because you are apparently unarmed. And as for an "butt-kicking" just let me know when your dumb butt is in OKC-and by the way, I don't need luck.

"I know that the AFR 195's are the bomb. I went a little cheaper and got Pro Topline 200's. They have a great reputation and are one of the least costly aluminum heads out. They claim to flow better than any other head in the world, and as far as I can tell, no one argues that point. I would say though, that 200cc's is a bit much for your cam. Either get a bigger cam or maybe go with 185's. By the way, I still have the Vortec's on my car and for the money, you can't beat them."

In case you didn't get it the first time, here is what I posted. Further, if you can't figure out what it says, 200cc's is a bit much for his cam, so he could go with a bigger cam or go with smaller heads. Seems what I said is obvious to anyone that doesn't have their head up their butt.

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 4:49 AM 5/15/2004]

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 4:49 AM 5/15/2004]
Old 05-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Like I said! bring on your pig any day, where is the picture? or are you too STUPID to post one. I'll be looking for the car when I have to visit my Okie in-laws back there one day. I think either your too stupid/afraid to post a picture or your car is a buch of parts sitting in a trailer park somewhere. You started the name calling, and I'll shut you up if I ever meet you in person you IDIOT!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:58 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"I think either your too stupid/afraid to post a picture or your car is a buch of parts sitting in a trailer park somewhere"

That was totally uncalled for!
Old 05-15-2004, 01:17 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE (patsnitrovette)

:lurk:

Get notified of new replies

To AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE

Old 05-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Like I said! bring on your pig any day, where is the picture? or are you too STUPID to post one. I'll be looking for the car when I have to visit my Okie in-laws back there one day. I think either your too stupid/afraid to post a picture or your car is a buch of parts sitting in a trailer park somewhere. You started the name calling, and I'll shut you up if I ever meet you in person you IDIOT!
Solid- I'd like to think your kid got his hands on the computer for the day.

I know people running SR torquers... you *do* know that the SR stands for "Stock Replacement", right? You'd be much better off installing a pair of Vortecs than those. They don't flow _at all_. Me, I'm going to go with a 400 and AFR 195s to "haul my weight around". But I would have no problems running the 195s on a 350, either.

-Steve
PS Pic below for your enjoyment.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:14 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man solid, I will agree you were provoked, but with an attitude like that (you should both take it to IM) I'm more than inclined to lower my opinion of your advice. As fast as the green monster may be, its owner seems to be a little slow when it comes to common etiquette.

:cheers:

I'm sure my 406 with its boat anchor AFR's (the factory CNC kinda stunk, they were re-done) is awefully slow compared to that LT1. :hat
Old 05-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE (VETDRMS)

Let's put an end to the challenges & name-calling guys, please. It's not needed here nor is it welcome & will likely lead to the closing of a post from a guy who's just looking for a little help. Solid, I agree that he's running a mild cam & doesn't have big cubes. However, with more cam & enough compression the AFR 195s would work very well for him.

How do I know? Well, I just got done putting a set on my LT1(in a 70 Z28). For performance they were a big jump up from the pocket ported angle plug "Turbo" heads that they replaced, which were in turn a big jump up from the original LT1 heads which had also been converted to angle plugs. AFR makes a great product which has both flow & velocity- they are the ones who recommended the 195s for my small 355. So let's ease up here & continue to HELP each other, OK?

Quick Reply: AFTERMARKET HEADS FOR STREET USE