C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock mount tool/puller??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:07 PM
82Red
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shock mount tool/puller??

I've read in the archived posts that there is in existence, a rear shock mount tool/puller ? Does anyone here know where I could buy, or better yet, is there anyone willing to rent or loan:rolleyes: me one?
Thanks!
RON
in Houston
:rolleyes:
Old 05-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Shock mount tool/puller?? (82Red)

they are pretty easy to remove once you take the load off the strut rod, if it's still stuck then thread the nut on and whack it with a hammer. If it damages the mount just get a new one. The threads easily mess up.

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 5:59 PM 5/12/2004]
Old 05-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I had to cut mine out. Other people apparently have not had the same amount of trouble as I have. I put a nut on and hit it with a 10 pound maul and it didn't budge. I think the problem was in strut rod. It was very resistant to movement.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

There are knock-off tools made that thread to the mount so you can drive them out without damage to the mount. The problem is sometimes the bracket ear breaks off in the process. I was able to force mine out using a small 3-jaw puller, if they are really stubborn try a little heat on the bracket (try to direct the heat away from the shock mount). Be careful with the replacement mounts imported from China, the steel on some I bought was so soft the threads pulled out at 35 ft/lbs. Then I went through 3 or 4 replacements made in Canada that had the shock stem angle wrong. I finally bought some used original ones, no more problems. Try to save yours if you can.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:33 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

They can be tough to remove. I destroyed mine and had the tool. A tip, if you destroy them, you can get a refurbished set from Bair's good as new and much better than cheap aftermarket, for half the price of new. Good luck and another thing, get bigger hammer-:smash: at least a small hand sledge hammer!

Get notified of new replies

To Shock mount tool/puller??

Quick Reply: Shock mount tool/puller??