C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 02:41 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3?

I was thinking of putting a chrome roll bar in my convertible to break up the black paint a little. I have a couple of questions.

1. How do you guys think a chrome roll bar\hoop would look in my car?
2. Does anyone make one that will fit in a convertible C3?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:51 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (BlackRat)

Search the archives, awhile back there was a guy that was making really nice chrome rollbars but they were for looks not function, I think. The real question is whether you want it for looks only or function too. To be functional it will need to be tied into the frame which means cutting through the floorpan of the car. Also, to be effective functionally it must be high enough to protect in a rollover and if done to SCCA standards, it could interfere with the operation of the convertible top if that is an issue. Just some thoughts.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've spent quite a bit of time looking into this. Either show or function, on a 'vert it means cutting the decklid. also, if you want it to pass club inspection for racing, it means hardtop only, leave the soft top up all the time, or remove it completely as there is no room for the top to fold with the rear bracing (and the cross-bar to the opposite side frame) in place. A real bar also requires cutting a number of holes in your car to tie the bar into the frame. That is what has stopped me so far.

That said, just a chrome hoop (that does nothingbut look good) won't interfere with the top, and only requires small cut-outs in the lid. I guess you could slide the seat far enough forward to avoid the notches, but you would need REAL short legs!

Ideally, I'll weld in a set of mounts that protrude through the 'glass behind the seat, then remove the soft top and mount the bar to go racing.

Hans
Old 05-12-2004, 07:48 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (Wrencher)

was thinking has anyone taken measurements of the Miata , Boxter or S2000 roll bar? Our cars couldn't be much wider than those. Maybe these could be modified to fit. :confused:

Boy I am probably about to get flamed for this comment. :lolg:

Wade

[Modified by BlackRat, 6:49 PM 5/12/2004]
Old 05-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Like the others said it will often be pretty to look at and not do squat in a roll over or cutting and hacking up the car for real protection. I'm in the same boat as you but trying to devise a way to have both. :yesnod:
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (Corey_68)

Just brainstorming, but I think attachments to the frame can be made and the actual cage could bolt together and bolt into the car. And you could always have a 2nd deck lid for racing or holes for the tubes to pass through prior to bolting to the car. You could fabricate fiberglass plugs for the holes that secure from the underside leaving a tight seam.

I'm years away from looking into the roll bar issue in detail! :(
Old 05-13-2004, 01:23 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (74-Roadster)

I have built one for my roadster. Except for myself, Merlin, and 1bad69 I don't know of anyone who has done anything in this area that wasn't a full race version which sacrificed pretty much the entire deck lid and all top functionality. And if I recall, 1bad69's solution is more for show and sacrificed leg room as he did not want to cut into the deck lid. As for Merlins, his lacked symetry and in my opinion just looked bad.

Mine, while not able to meet the requirements of any sanctioning body, at least is welded solid to the frame and I believe provides some degree of protection, certainly more than there is with nothing at all. While I had to make cuts in the deck lid, I think it blended nicely and it does not interfere with the top or the decklid at all. Also, it makes for perfect attachement point for a harness.

Here are some pics...

As you can see it is a 4 point bar tho the back braces don't come up high enough to satisfy any santioning body. I made it out of 1-5/8 .125" DOM steel tubing. I have since made inserts to fit in the hoops to help keep the wind down. I can now actually here my stereo on the freeway!

The new C4 seats really tie the whole thing together

Chris

[Modified by 71roadster, 10:25 AM 5/13/2004]
Old 05-13-2004, 03:18 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (71roadster)

Chris,

That looks really good. What special tools did you need to build it. I am assuming you have access to a tubing bender. Firgive me if I did not read this correctly but did you or did you not loose the functionality of the foldeing top? As far as cutting the deck lid I think it looks really clean and very :cool: That is what I can picture on mine only chromed. Thanks for the oics.

Wade
Old 05-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (71roadster)

Pretty nice installation Chris! :yesnod: This is the approach I might take someday, and it's similar to the setups in Boxsters. Race or not, it's got to add considerable protection in case of a rollover.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:20 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (Z-man)

No interference with the top at all. I actually bought a tubing bender that would make the tight enough radius to get the hoops right and all the other tools to make it (welder, tubing cutter, grinders, etc).

Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 06:32 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a picture of a yellow one from the events section, I think it is a members car.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/events...bup59/DSC00024

:seeya

PS: it's also picture #22

[Modified by 72GACRZR, 6:32 PM 5/13/2004]
Old 05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
hotbrakesracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (72GACRZR)

i am looking for something for a 71 coupe that is scca and nccc legal!!! :cool:
Old 05-14-2004, 12:38 AM
73ragtop
Instructor

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (72GACRZR)

Here's another picture of the yellow one. https://www.corvetteforum.com/events...bup59/DSC00022
Old 05-14-2004, 09:10 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (73ragtop)

Here's another picture of the yellow one. https://www.corvetteforum.com/events...bup59/DSC00022
This is LOTAHP's car. I really like his too. I have asked him to post some detailed pics of his car and the roll bar when he gets a chance. I would love to have his design and get it chromed for my Vette. I don't ever plan on going fast enough around a corner to worry about flipping. I just think that these things look really cool on verts. :thumbs: I am going after the road race look kinda like the old A\C Cobras.

Wade
Old 05-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (74-Roadster)

And you could always have a 2nd deck lid for racing :(
Exactly! I have located an original used lid that I will use with the roll bar installed. I just can't bring myself to cut an original L-68. Some of the local clubs will let me run the novice (slower) group with a hardtop, so that's what I'm after now. Still can't figure out how that makes it safer... Maybe debris from other cars?

Hans
Old 05-14-2004, 03:23 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3? (Wrencher)

I believe 71roadster was refferring to 69MyWay's vert, not Mike's (1bad69) coupe. Here is his webpage, I also believe he makes and sells the rollbars that are on his vert. http://mcspeed.homestead.com/
Old 05-14-2004, 04:55 PM
dtengle
Instructor

Hey BlackRat,

I was the one to which they were referring too in the archives. Here is my background.

Background:

I am a mechanical systems engineer and avid machinist. I work for Siemens Westinghouse and I perform design and analysis on combustion turbine engines. I own a 68 roadster I have always liked the way the old cobra’s roll bars looked but I could not find any company that carried roll bars that required no modification to my vette. So needless to say, I fabricated myself a pair of roll bars that were authentic to the era and they looked so good and I have had so many complements that I decided to start selling them. Just to let you and everyone else know, I am very meticulous and I guarantee that the quality of these roll bars will incomparable to anything else on the market.

Product:

I took a poll on the forum about a week ago to find out how many people on the C3 forum had 68-75 convertibles. Let me just say the participation was unbelievable.

I am currently getting ready to start selling these Roll Bar packages to Ecklers and Mid-America and the listing price will be approximately 1,500.00 USD for the entire package (refer below). Although I would like to extend an introductory offer to all corvette forum members such as myself for a total package price of 1,100.00 USD. Trust me the product in which you get is worth every penny. It is not some cheaply fabricated part that looks good in the picture but when you get it, it is not as good as you thought. There is a lot of time and detail that goes into each one that is made and I will not sacrifice quality for volume!! He is what you get:

Roll Bar Package Definition:

This package consists of a 10-15 minute no modifications needed full bolt in package that not only increases the value of your C3 but also brings safety, aesthetics, and rigidity to your car. This is an engineered system and is designed such that interference with the convertible top’s kinematic movement will not occur. This package, as seen in the provided picture, includes one chrome roll bar, two five point Simpson racing restraint systems, one mounted chrome APC fire extinguisher, and all the chrome grade 8 bolting hardware needed for installation.

The roll bar will be made out of 6061 T-6 aerospace grade aluminum 2" in diameter with a 0.125" wall thickness tig-welded. Material finish may vary depending on our customer’s tastes. Below are different material finishing options:

 Nickel-Chrome Plated
 Nickel-Black Chrome Plated
 Anodized (any color)
 Powder Coated (any color)
 Polished

Note: This Roll Bar is for aesthetics only!! Anything other than this would require modification of the car in the form of drilling holes and/or welding.

Attached is a picture of the package. Let me know what you think.
(Having a few problems posting a picture right now. I will put one on later after I get home from work or you can email me and I can send you one ASAP)

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3?

Quick Reply: Anybody make a good roll bar for a convertible C3?