C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor grease spec

Old 05-12-2004, 11:38 AM
theoUK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Distributor grease spec

Is there a preferred type of grease for use in the upper "reservoir" of the delco HEI distributor? I'm cleaning mine up and setting the endfloat etc. The upper shaft bearing is lubricated by a factory-filled grease reservoir, the contents of which have long since dried up. Can I replace it with regular high melting point grease, and if not, why not, if you get my meaning?
:cheers:
Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Distributor grease spec (theoUK)

Lars suggested using High temp wheel bearing grease on my Non-HEI points unit. I used the Mobil pink stuff.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Missileman
Instructor

The factory grease has long been discontinued. Many people have used many different types of grease for this specific spot, with no clear better choice. I use moly assembly lube in this cavity. It doesn't dry up and will hold up to high temps. The liquid properties also make it continuously settle in the well against the bushing surface. High temp. bearing grease has also been used by many people with satisfactory results.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:01 PM
theoUK
Pro

Default Re: Distributor grease spec (Missileman)

Thanks guys, it's good to get a second (or third!) opinion. I guess seeing as the well doesn't have any exit holes at the bottom, then even if the grease does get thin at higher temps, it can't exactly go anywhere. It'll only go out the two side holes as the bearing requires it..

On a similar note, how about the pins for the advance weights? Is there a requirement for a thicker grease here, given the potential for it to spin off at high speeds??? Or will moly or similar be ok?

:cheers:
Old 05-12-2004, 01:06 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Moly assembly grease is my choice...
...redvetracr

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor grease spec

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Distributor grease spec