C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier

We're moving next week and I reserved a car carrier (trailer, not the tow dolly kind) from Budget Rental. Any tips on strapping it down?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-12-2004, 01:08 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (robNdfwTX)

When my friend and I brought my '68 home we used his race car trailor. He was very particular about strapping it down to the point that the suspension was compressed a bit on the springs. He said he does this to keep the car from bouncing unnecessarily and it secures the car from moving around on the trailer. He used ratcheting nylon tie down straps. We only had to transport my car about 60 miles but for long distances I see this as being even more important.

I know that when my company ships cars, they are cinched down low on the trailer as well so they don't bounce. We've had cars come back with damaged oil pans and underbodies because the cars weren't properly secured by the carriers who hauled them.

It also wouldn't hurt to tie a heavy duty cover or tarp to the car to minimize the chance of rocks flying up and damaging it. Just tie the tarp securely so that it doesn't flap in the wind. It could also help minimize the curiosity of potential thieves who might like to have a "souvenier" and see your car parked unattended at a restaurant or motel.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (LemansBlue68)

Rob, I just had my 69 coupe shipped by open trailer from NY to FL. My mover towed it behind a long box truck with other items. My car recently had a body off completed, but was left stripped with no paint anticipating the move. My mover and numerous people suggested not covering it as movement at 70 MPH would be enough to beat the paint off or damage fiberglass. The mover used nylon wheel straps to hold the front tires and a ratcheting nylon strap pulling down on the rear suspension to the trailer. The car arrived with no problem. I was concerned about thieves in transit, but the mover said they would deliver it non-stop and it would never be unattended. I did insure it for the two days of towing. An enclosed trailer option was available, but I considered the additional $1200 excessive. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:06 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know who you're renting from but I've used U-Haul trailers a handful of times, and most universal trailers are similar. The front wheels are held with straps over the tires, which are sinched up with ratcheting straps. There are front and back safety chains but it's the front wheel straps that hold the car.

I've found this system to be fine, but if you're going a long way, I'd consider making a stop in at Home Depot and buying a pair of heavy tie-down straps. They have nice 3" wide straps for about $12. Use the straps on the back of the car to hold it in place. I've found that there are holes on each side of the diff crossmember that are perfect for the hooks on these straps. Just hook the straps in the holes and find something strong on the back of the trailer (there's usually a tie-down fitting somewhere) to hook the other side. Lash 'em down and drive away. Stop after 5-10 miles and check the tension.

The Home Depot straps rediculously long (like 27 ft) but you can tuck the excess in the car and close the doors on them.

You did the right thing going with the carrier instead of the dolly.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:09 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (LemansBlue68)

I towed mine home from North Carolina and my friend's from Atlanta. Tie down the front using the lower a-arm. Use something between the strap and the a-arm to protect the strap from damage. Then I would suggest attaching the rear straps to the cutouts in the frame rails. I criss-crossed the rear straps. The cutouts were most likely used to transport the cars originally. I didn't use anything on the front of the car. I would, however, make sure the car had been waxed before transport to protect the paint. Finally, you may need some planks to make the ramps longer so the front end won't scrape.

Good luck.
Ken
Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (69L71)

One other suggestion. Tow it front end forward. If the hood should pop open, wind pressure will tend to keep it closed. If it is towed with rear end forward, the wind pressure could tear the hood off.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:14 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I towed mine from Houston to Chicago a couple of years ago on a U-Haul with the straps over the front wheels. The only problem I had was getting the Vette on and off the trailor. I had the find a curb to raise the trailers ramps up a bit so that the Vette's frame would clear.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:36 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow all the time.

Check your tie down straps every 50 miles and make sure they are still tight.

Do not put a cover on the car. The wind will beat it to pieces and ruin the paint.

Make sure the car is loaded and weight balanced even on the trailer. This is very important.

Good Luck,

Old 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (bamavettes)

I was once told that the car should be taken out of gear to keep the shock load off the tranny. Any truth to this?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (Eddie 70)

I have read that before.

It recommended to take the car out of gear, and when you load the car on the trailer, take your truck out of gear and just have the emergency brake on. Relieves pressure on both transmissions.

I don't follow either one of these, and have not had any problem.

I was always afraid a strap might come loose, and I didn't want my car riding up there that could start rolling. I don't think I ever had a C2 or a C3 Corvette that the emergency brake worked.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (bamavettes)

Thanks for all the info guys. We are renting the trailer from Budget Rental (like UHAUL) and will be towing the Vette on it behind the Budget Rental Truck that I will drive. We'll be going non-stop and only about 300 miles so it being left unattended isn't a concern.

Can't wait to get the move over with. I just recently got the vette and have been putting off doing anything to it because of time/money dealing with the buying/selling of houses.

Thanks again! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Rob
Old 05-12-2004, 07:21 PM
red79c3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take care of her!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:32 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (Eddie 70)

I have also heard that the car should be taken out of gear. Good point on not using a cover. Just take off the beauty rings and centers as well as anything else easily removed.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:01 PM
amcom6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (sray454)

If you have a clearance problem with the loading ramps here is a trick I learned at the race track. Get a cheap pair of the drive up ramps used to work on cars. Place the ramps in front of the rear tires on your truck and drive up. This will lift the tongue of the trailer and lower the tail. It worked for me until I got an enclosed car trailer. Good Luck
Old 05-13-2004, 03:48 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Default Re: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier (amcom6)

:cool: tip!!

Thanks!

Rob
Old 05-13-2004, 04:10 AM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that trick!

I'm looking at buying an enclosed 22 ft. Haulmark trailer.
It has barn doors and looked to me to be pretty high off the ground, especially where my car has a spoiler.

That trick with the ramps will just push me into picking it up today :cheers:

Question: Is it a big disadvantage not to have a ramp door??...Barn doors

[Modified by Summerfun, 9:35 AM 5/13/2004]
Old 05-13-2004, 07:25 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Neat tip....Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier

Quick Reply: Towing my 68 on a Car Carrier