C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Flooding. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 04:08 PM
ejr76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still Flooding. Any ideas?

I had the body of my 76 totally redone, including all new weather stripping. Last week, I was down in North Carolina and it rained pretty hard for two days and the car was not covered. The interior was dry, but the passengers side floor filled with water. Any ideas on where the water is getting in?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Still Flooding. Any ideas? (ejr76)

Have ya ever checked the seal on your windshield?... may sound strange, but worth checking..

I thought my T tops were leakin like he!!, but after closer inspection, found that the seal on the windshield had just given up (about 3/4 of it along the top). Luckily, it was not rusted loose, just old and tired. Removed the windshield, cleaned, and resealed and vwa-la .... huge difference..

now I know that my T tops just leak a little.. :D
Old 05-11-2004, 05:12 PM
ejr76
Intermediate

Default Re: Still Flooding. Any ideas? (Avette4me)

It doesn't appear to be anywhere near the windshield. The dash, seats and console were all dry. It looked more like it came in under the dash on the one side.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the "well" in front of the windshield right below the wipers. the putty in there dries out and then water runs in on the carpet. you can scrape all the old crap out, then use a good quality caulk. i wound up using my fingers quite a bit to get the caulk into all the nooks and crannies, then i masked it all off and shot about 3 coats of rubber undercoating over the whole well area. also check if the plug in the floorboard is there. i'm not sure if you have these on a 76, my 79 was missing both plugs. luckily, some plugs from work were the perfect size so i "borrowed" a pair.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:08 AM
ejr76
Intermediate

Default Re: Still Flooding. Any ideas? (Gary79)

Where are the pluggs located? I'm sure if I have them they're there as I had to hand bail out all the water that accumulated.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:53 AM
tom102
Instructor

The plugs on my 76 are located in the center of the driver and passenger front floor under the carpet. They pop out easily and are made of black plastic
Old 05-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

One thing to check is the air vent next to your feet. I left mine of one time and the carpet got wet, but nothing else. Since then, I remember to close them.

Get notified of new replies

To Still Flooding. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Still Flooding. Any ideas?