C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement

I want to replace the steel fuel line between the pump and carb on my '81. I attempted to install a new line yesterday but I couldn't get it in place without bending the line.

If I removed the air compressor (smog pump) would this provide sufficient clearance to install the line? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement (Biker)

Don't really remember my '80 on that line, but I believe it is the A/C compressor that is in the way. If you take the belt off, move the compressor to the right as much as you can, you then should have more than enough room to get the line in. I do not believe the A.I.R.(smog)pump is in the way of the fuel line that I can remember.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:31 PM
John92LT1
Advanced

Default Re: Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement (Paul Borowski)

Let me know what works, PLEASE! I gave up on the 81's fuel line last fall... it is still hanging in the garage, waiting (and waiting, and waiting, etc.).
Old 05-12-2004, 08:10 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement (John92LT1)

Has anyone thought of using a service manual? Procedures are described in detail about replacing all sorts of things...... Yes, you might have to remove or loosen things up, take off the front wheel to get at the fittings, etc. but it's doable. If you can't, or don't want to be bothered doing it right then take it to a mechanic.

Using a rubber line in this area is just plain dangerous.....
Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement (Paul Borowski)

Use a manual? That's too easy an answer. Fuel line replacement is not covered in neither of my two service manuals.

I got the job done last night. I removed the air compressor and a bracket that supports the air conditioning compressor from the bottom. Next, I partially straightened the new fuel line; then I got under the car and inserted the line from the bottom up. Once the line was in position I bent it back into shape. This was by far the most difficult job I've tackled on my Corvette.

[Modified by Biker, 7:45 AM 5/12/2004]
Old 05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement (Biker)

I agree that you need to be somewhat of a contortionist just to get at the fuel pump fittings there are worse jobs. Getting the speedo and tach units out, or replacing the light switch. MAJOR PITA.

Glad it work out tho.....My GM manual covers replacing the fuel pump which also talks about the fuel line.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement

Quick Reply: Need Help with Fuel Line Replacement