C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:39 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Manual Brakes Question

I just ordered my manual brake master cylinder today from Advance Auto. It is a rebuilt Bendix master cylinder. The total price came to $40.58 with the core charge included. While I was ordering the master cylinder I also asked for prices on the mounting plate and pushrod for the master cylinder. The guy told me that both come with the master cylinder (I have my doubts on whether this is true or not). Anyway, my question is this. My 1976 Corvette currently has power brakes and I am switching to manual brakes, what else will I need to do this swap? Am I going to need a different proportioning valve?

I'm changing to manual brakes for a few reasons. First of all I will be switching to a cam with around 268-276 duration @ .050" on a 108LSA....so vaccum will likely be less than sufficient. I will also be running a stud girdle with tall valve covers so the power brakes are a no-go. I also like the way it cleans up the appearance of the engine bay. I am also trying to eliminate as much weight off the front end as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:56 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Manual Brakes Question (bence13_33)

Master power brakes supplies the bracket and a new pushrod.

I seriously doubt an aftermarket MC comes with the adapter plate :rolleyes:

You will also need to move the pushrod clevis to the lower mounting hole and get a new brake switch bracket ( or cut and weld the old one....)

www.mpbrakes.com
Old 05-11-2004, 01:05 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Manual Brakes Question (bence13_33)

You'll also need 2 new lines from the master cylinder down to the proportioning valve.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Manual Brakes Question (ettev)

The proportioning valve is the same...
Old 05-11-2004, 04:04 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Manual Brakes Question (Z-man)

Bence I have a power to manual conversion plate, push rod, and clevis that I purchased from Master Power Brakes a little more than a year ago when I converted my power brake 69 to a manual brake car that I would get rid of for $15.00 as long as you pay for the shipping too. I know that you most likely are going to have to relocate the pivit hole on the brake pedal arm an inch higher in order to gain the leverage you need to work the manual master cylinder. That was my problem so I converted to Hydraboost and I wish I would of gone that way from the start.
Here is the URL to MPBrakes and the plate, rod, and clevis I have: http://www.mpbrakes.com/manual.htm
Let me know if you are interested.

[Modified by James, 3:05 PM 5/11/2004]
Old 05-11-2004, 07:15 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Manual Brakes Question (James)

James:
I am interested and will take the whole shooting match for $15.00. I have sent you an e-mail, if you do not receive it try dropping me one. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Brakes Question

Quick Reply: Manual Brakes Question