C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brackets & Pullies ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brackets & Pullies ???

I see lots of adv. for "serpintine" set-ups and other systems. Is there an advantage over stock hardware? I'm looking because my A/C belt keeps snaping, my p/s pully has a wabble. So I plan to disasemble clean, make sure things line up ok and put back. But if there is a better solution in the aftermarket I'd like to check it out.

Thanks
Leo
Old 05-11-2004, 12:39 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Brackets & Pullies ??? (Leo001)

I have a stock C4 L98 TPI seprentine system on mine. It looks cool IMHO. If you go stock sepentine keep this in mind. 1) You will have to get a high pressure p/s line made. 2) The later C4 alternators are junk, use an 84-85 C4 alternator. Uses same plugs as C3 alternator. Use the 84-85 air pump eliminator with this, the p/s bracket is the same 84-81. 3) It uses a reverse-rotating aluminum water pump. Must go to electric fans. I looked, but never found a correct length iron pump (IROC is different length) to use with a TBI truck fan clutch/fan. 4) THe 89?-91 Sanden compressor is close to a stock A6 compressor in length, where the 84-88? uses the same style R4 compressor. Expect to pay $350+ for a complete setup with pulleys, brackets, braces, bolts, pumps, etc. Watch for broken mounts on the p/s bracket and air-pump-to-alternator bracket (although you will likely use an air pump eliminator).
Old 05-11-2004, 03:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Brackets & Pullies ??? (markdtn)

markdtn there is about totally correct, except for his comment about the p/steering pressure line.....when I did the serp changeover in '95 or so, to an '88 vette setup, the '88 vette pump just took the same regualtor/pressure/flow valve thingy the stock pump did, so I swapped them over.....no big deal....worked fine, about 3 years ago I did a swapover to rack/pinion steering....once again...no big deal.....hoses are fine, and the only thing I found was the angles were differant...so with some creativity, I used a brass compression 3/8 union from a plumbing house...Home Despot carries them....and cut the lines appropriately and spliced them together, been ten years now, and not ONE leak, even with the changeover....

GENE
Old 05-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Brackets & Pullies ??? (mrvette)

Any pictures??
Old 05-12-2004, 07:39 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Brackets & Pullies ??? (Leo001)

I haven't check my own web page in years now, I dunno if it's even up still.....

check my profile for the addy, I think it's still listed.....

not sure they do a whole lot on the serp drive, but a coulple shots of the rack...

GENE
Old 05-12-2004, 10:22 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Brackets & Pullies ??? (mrvette)

Cool-that I did not know about the valve. I will remember that for the next one I do. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Brackets & Pullies ???

Quick Reply: Brackets & Pullies ???