C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 headers ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
327shp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 headers ???

I have a stock 68, 327/350 and i want to put on a set of headers.but i don't know which ones sound the best.i need some advice and some part numbers,please..because i hate ordering stuff that don't fit. also how do i mount my alternator?
thank's
Old 05-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: 68 headers ??? (327shp)

Any SBC headers will fit. I just removed a set and went back to the rams horn manifold on my 68. I like the rams horn, a little better low end, quieter.
There are aftermarket brackest made to mount the alternator in its original location using headers. Any good auto parts store will have it. Saw a chrome one at auto zone this weekend.
Gary
Old 05-11-2004, 01:03 PM
L79vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 68 headers ??? (Garys '68)

Not sure what Gary meant by "any SBC headers." You've got to get the right ones for the chassis. Even then, my Hookers fit badly and I shortened the collectors. Others have had similar problems with various brands. I bought used, but would advise buying new so you can return them if there is a fit problem.

Dynomax is very popular on the forum. About $230 with ceramic coating from Summit. One problem with buying already coated is: if you have to modify the headers, you will have problems welding through the coating. But, if you buy new and they don't fit right, you can exchange them.

Be prepared to do some heat shielding and pipe fitting work too.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: 68 headers ??? (L79vette)

Yeah L79 that was a bit brief.
Make that any manufacturer will have a header that fits a vette. They're pretty common. Check out Jegs, Summit, etc
BTW, found the bracket. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...85&prmenbr=361
You'll need "D" It bolts to the front 2 exhaust manifold bolts.
Gary
Old 05-12-2004, 07:46 AM
327shp
Instructor

Thank's for the info,i'll try and take some pic's when i'm done.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:39 PM
L79vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some stuff to consider:

Heat shielding for starter & battery cables

You may want a mini starter to get more clearance to the header

Header gaskets & bolts. Many folks have their favorite methods, do some research and pick something that looks sensible to you.

Re-routing plug wires to prevent burning them up. I bought over-the-top looms.

Spark plugs - I just ordered some shorties today because one plug boot has very tiny clearance to the header tube with regular size plugs.

Fabricating new exhaust pipes to connect headers to rest of the system. I spent a long time on this. To get the smooth bends I wanted I actually modified the headers themselves.

Heat shielding the new exhaust pipes - old sheet metal shields won't fit. I wrapped mine to avoid worse leg roasting than with the old pipes. Should actually be better than before.

Alternator mounting, as you mentioned. Standard bracket solutions exist from several vendors.

Oil filter - I had the canister, had to convert to spin-on.

Splash shields - I had to trim the passenger side. A lot.

Re-jetting the carburetor may be needed.

I recommend buying uncoated headers, test fitting them, then having them coated after making any needed/wanted modifications. Many folks get by with just bolting them on, but I had fit problems and have spoken to others who had them too.

The black paint on uncoated new headers is not high-temp stuff, just cheapo paint to keep the headers from rusting before install. Blast and paint with good stuff or go ceramic coat.

All this stuff is do-able, nothing really that hard, but I've been taking my time and addressing them as I go rather than putting it all together and then going back to solve problems as they show up. At least, I hope all this time spent will give a more trouble-free setup. I'll post pics when done (soon, I hope).

Get notified of new replies

To 68 headers ???

Quick Reply: 68 headers ???