C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
JeffReed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd

Just wanted to let you know that after having Tony's Corvette steal my clutch plate and then refuse to install my 5-spd, I had my local guys do it for me. Tim at Mechanicsburg Sports Car Center specializes in Vettes and was able to get everything except the speedo-cable installed. Keisler sent the wrong cable with the initial kit, but they sent a new one once I called. MSCC is located in Mechanicsburg, Pa (about 30 minutes from Gettysburg) and they said they would have no problem doing more. Their number is 717-697-0952

I only have about 100 miles on the new tranny, but its working great. It shifts smoother than the original, but not butter-smooth. Hopefully after some time it will get a little better. I don't notice the new first gear as much as I do the over-drive. Man, going down the highway and dropping it into 5-th gear is awesome. I have plenty of torque to pull from 1500 RPM in 5th, so there's no real need to drop into 4th except for serious acceleration needs.

If you’re considering a kit from Keisler, make sure you have lots of patience. I thought the price and components of the kit were fair. Calling them and getting responses was and still is very tough. I spent several months I waiting for the kit to be shipped, more than a month where Tony’s Corvette put me off, several weeks figuring out what to do and the two weeks it took to get it installed by MCSS (had to wait a few days for the drive shaft and new clutch to arrive). I wish I had had the time, tools and skills to do it myself, but I don’t.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd (JeffReed)

Glad you got your's in - mine is still in the garage awaiting completion of my engine.

Do you know what clutch brand you bought?

From what I understand (and from other new cars I've driven), the transmission will get smoother after about 1,000 miles.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd (Z-man)

Mine is getting a little smoother but I only have about 300 miles so far. My install was not to bad just a few minor problems but overall not to bad. I did cut my crossmember which made it a breeze and for future an easy removal. Also with a blow sheild I don't know if it can be done with out cutting the cross member.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd (Gordonm)

steal your pressure plate? WOW tha'ts mighty nice of them :eek:

Great that you got it running after all. :thumbs:
Old 05-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd (Z-man)

I use Centerforce Dual Friction with my Richmond-6
Old 05-11-2004, 07:39 AM
JeffReed
Instructor

We installed the Centerforce Clutch, same as Summerfun. From all reports its a top notch unit. We had to change because the splines were different. They run about $350. I already had a Centerforce unit with the 4-spd, but we coudn't find anyone who would just sell the clutch plate so we ended up purchasing the clutch & prssure plate.

MCSS did not cut the cross member to install the tranny. I've done a lot of mods to the car, but nothing has been cut or welded so it could be returned to stock someone day.

Keisler included a new clutch plate (not pressure plate) with the kit I purchased. When I was at Tony's Corvette picking up the tranny - I had it shipped there at Keisler's recommendation - he reached into my box and pulled out the clutch plate saying he ordered it for another project. Since he also lost my invoice from Keisler, I wasn't sure if it was part of the kit or not. Once Keisler sent me another invoice, I noticed the single clutch plate was included.
THANKS TONY! :mad
Old 05-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Sorry to hear of such a place that would do this to you. Unbelievable. Keisler sells just the clutch that would have worked for you. I bought my 26 spline clutch from them when I was doing my install. Seems like it was a McCloud brand. The shifting does get a little easier, just add some more miles to it.

What rear gear are you running?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 AM
JeffReed
Instructor

Default Re: MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd (Eddie 70)

I would have tried to get another clutch from Keisler, but I cringe every time I need to call them. Sometimes their responsiveness is great, but most of the time I received well less than acceptable response from them. I had more money than patience so I purchased the new clutch.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Rbbmoose427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience with Keisler - and I love my 5 speed. They seem to send the wrong parts (speedo cable) to everyone and then its difficult to get in touch with the guys there who give a crap...once you figure out how to get through the telephone system, they know what they are talking about and do a decent job...

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd

Quick Reply: MSCC Installed My Keisler 5-Spd