C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to install wiper compartment cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 06:50 PM
first-stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install wiper compartment cover

I order one of those wiper compartment covers from a vendor, it arrived today. Anyone install one of these? I thought screws or something would come with it, but nothing.

My car is at the painters so I haven't had a chance to see if it just inserts somehow. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:10 AM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: how to install wiper compartment cover (first-stingray)

Might have to trim alittle around wiper arms or edges to make fit...Mine is held on with 2 screws, each at outer foward corners.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's how I installed mine. Set the compartment cover over the windshield wiper trough with the wipers going through the holes. Run the wipers to see if they hit anything. You may have to do some slight sanding around the wiper holes to get clearance. You may also have to put a slight bow in the wiper arms to clear the cover. Go easy on this because if you bow the arm too much you may hit the underside of the rear of the hood. Once everything is to your satisfaction drill 5 holes through the cover and the edge of the trough. You can use sheet metal screws to attach the cover but I found that after you remove it once or twice the screws don't hold very well because they enlarge the holes in the fiberglass. I went to a hardware store and got Rivnuts. They look and install like a rivet but have threads inside so you can use machine screws. To install these drill the holes through the cover and trough in the correct side for the rivnut. Then lift the cover and install the rivnuts into the leading edge of the fiberglass trough according to the instructions that come with the rivnuts. Then put the cover back down and install the machine screws. You will now have threaded holes that look like small wellnuts but are all metal. If you are leaving the cover black then paint the top of the screws black to match. If you are painting the cover to match your car color then paint the screws that color. When you're done it will look like factory and will be easy to remove and reinstall. Try to use pan head sheetmetal screws so they don't stick up too much because the hood seal will sit over them. One problem I had with my painted cover is that it scratched easily where the wipers slid over the cover to park. I fixed this by getting some 3M clear plastic vinyl tape at the local auto store and putting it over the trailing edge of the cover where the wipers pass over. It works the same as the protectors used under convertible tops so the paint doesn't get scratched. I've had mine on now for over a year and it's worked pretty well although I don't drive in the rain on purpose. Good luck and if you need anymore tips shoot me an e-mail.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:29 AM
first-stingray
Advanced

Default Re: how to install wiper compartment cover (vettfixr)

vettfixr,

Great idea with the rivnuts. Although I hate the thought of drilling into that lip at least it's something that is going to hold.

While we're on the subject...any idea on correcting wiper clash? They meet sometimes and I sure don't want the wipers skipping up and scratching the end of my hood. (I didn't care too much with the old paint).

TIA
:cheers:
Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the AIM has instructions for adjusting the blades. It's all done by moving the adjustments on the linkage in the wiper trough.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:50 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

While we're on the subject...any idea on correcting wiper clash?
One possiblity is to use shorter blades. I forget which book I read it in though.
:seeya
Old 05-11-2004, 11:50 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw one on a 73 at a show and shine last month that did not have any mounting screws. The owner was not around and I did not want to mess with his car to find out how it was attached. I assumed it was attached with velcro.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 PM
RedShark76
Intermediate

Two sided tape. The black industrial type. It does'nt take much to hold it in place. But you do have to put new tape on when you have to remove it for cleaning and maitainence.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:38 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: how to install wiper compartment cover (RedShark76)

I used 4 plastic push pins into the cowl lip. Just pull the pin up when you want to remove the cover. I also modified the area where the wiper stop is located by cutting a slot for it in the cover. I had to trim the ends a little because the cover was a tad too long. It would "bow" in the middle. Guess all cars are NOT built the same.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: how to install wiper compartment cover (GATOR454)

I saw one on a 73 at a show and shine last month that did not have any mounting screws. The owner was not around and I did not want to mess with his car to find out how it was attached. I assumed it was attached with velcro.
I have on my 72 with the L88 long hood. It lays in place and is not fastened down. Only fit problem was at the front edge, I had to notch it a bit to fit into the trough area properly.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:07 AM
deli-man
4th Gear

Originally Posted by vettfixr
Here's how I installed mine. Set the compartment cover over the windshield wiper trough with the wipers going through the holes. Run the wipers to see if they hit anything. You may have to do some slight sanding around the wiper holes to get clearance. You may also have to put a slight bow in the wiper arms to clear the cover. Go easy on this because if you bow the arm too much you may hit the underside of the rear of the hood. Once everything is to your satisfaction drill 5 holes through the cover and the edge of the trough. You can use sheet metal screws to attach the cover but I found that after you remove it once or twice the screws don't hold very well because they enlarge the holes in the fiberglass. I went to a hardware store and got Rivnuts. They look and install like a rivet but have threads inside so you can use machine screws. To install these drill the holes through the cover and trough in the correct side for the rivnut. Then lift the cover and install the rivnuts into the leading edge of the fiberglass trough according to the instructions that come with the rivnuts. Then put the cover back down and install the machine screws. You will now have threaded holes that look like small wellnuts but are all metal. If you are leaving the cover black then paint the top of the screws black to match. If you are painting the cover to match your car color then paint the screws that color. When you're done it will look like factory and will be easy to remove and reinstall. Try to use pan head sheetmetal screws so they don't stick up too much because the hood seal will sit over them. One problem I had with my painted cover is that it scratched easily where the wipers slid over the cover to park. I fixed this by getting some 3M clear plastic vinyl tape at the local auto store and putting it over the trailing edge of the cover where the wipers pass over. It works the same as the protectors used under convertible tops so the paint doesn't get scratched. I've had mine on now for over a year and it's worked pretty well although I don't drive in the rain on purpose. Good luck and if you need anymore tips shoot me an e-mail.
Deli-man here,
Was your cover too short for a good fit .
Old 05-04-2021, 11:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by deli-man
Deli-man here,
Was your cover too short for a good fit .
You are answering a post from 17 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To how to install wiper compartment cover

Quick Reply: how to install wiper compartment cover