C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 04:09 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse

Question here.

When moving the shifter from 1st to reverse with the clutch pushed to the floor sometimes the gear shifter doesn't want to go into reverse like it's hitting a rotating object. What to check?

[Modified by 74 vert, 3:10 PM 5/9/2004]
Old 05-09-2004, 05:22 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (74 vert)

I had this problem to when I first got my car. What I found was if I first moved it into neutral...wiggled it from side to side a few times...it went into reverse okay. Hopes this helps.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (robertmc48)

The linkage has to be almost perfect to work smoothly all of the time. Also check the reverse lock cable that locks the steering column That can bind if it isn't adjusted exactly right. Also there is a lock plate in the steering wheel that has to line up so try turning the wheel just a little and try again. All of these little things add up to being inconsistant when trying to put the trans in reverse. Remember there is no synchronizer for reverse so it has to line up with the teeth exactly or it won't go. Even perfect set-ups will not go into reverse from time to time.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 5:54 PM 5/9/2004]
Old 05-09-2004, 05:52 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (bluevetteman)

i have the same problem, sounds like i dont know how to shift when it happens. embarassing :rolleyes:
Old 05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (bluevetteman)

Thanks for the replies. I read the thread about moving the linkage to create a short throw. I guess I'll mess with it this week and see if I can create a short throw and then adjust to improve the reverse engagement. When I shift to reverse it seems to moves about half way from neutral position into a rotating object, grinding sound. Depending on position of car, I either just shut it off and then put it in reverse, or go to first, then neutral and then reverse.

[Modified by 74 vert, 5:06 PM 5/9/2004]
Old 05-09-2004, 06:18 PM
74droptop
Pro

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (74 vert)

Try shifting from 1st to 2nd gear then to reverse this allows the trans to stop spinning makes for easier shifting.This always worked for me when I had the 4speed.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:44 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (74droptop)

Your lucky your problem is getting it into reverse. Mine goes in reverse fine, but will occasionaly get stuck there! That gets embarassing. Pull out of a spot and get stuck in reverse. Lots of wiggling and jamming on the shifter pursues as I frantically try getting it back into gear. This can last up to a minute. People behind me dont like that little gremlin.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:01 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (lostpatrolman)

Mine got a spell of not going into reverse no matter what I did. It just physically would not go into reverse. Everything looked fine. The problem was intermittant and would fix it self just like flipping a switch. Sometimes it would be jammed for a couple of days and then presto it was ok for a random amount of time and then just when I least expected it. I could not get reverse. I draind the grease which was a little low and refilled it with valvoline 85-90W. No problems since and it's been several years. Puzzling.....
Old 05-10-2004, 06:41 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (74droptop)

Try shifting from 1st to 2nd gear then to reverse this allows the trans to stop spinning makes for easier shifting.
:iagree:
Old 05-13-2004, 07:12 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

Default Re: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse (theandies)

That's what the original manual suggested, and it's worked for me. Gets rid of that nasty grinding noise.

Get notified of new replies

To 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse

Quick Reply: 4-speed doesn't always like to move into reverse