C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Compressor, is one better than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Compressor, is one better than the other?

Is the first air compressor worth the extra $200?

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...49-1126-DP4615

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...99-1126-VT6329
Old 05-08-2004, 10:37 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Air Compressor, is one better than the other? (Skyhigh82)

Obviously the more expensive one is better.... here's why.

The cheaper one is a 2 cylinder single stage compressor means two cylinders compress gas up to 135psi. This means a lot of heat is created during this single compression cycle... this in turn raises the operating temp of the compressor and the outgoing compressed air. This results in a less efficient compressor, shorter life span of compressor, higher temperature compressed air which must be removed after compression.

The more expensive one is a 2 cylinder V compressor. These compressors( for the most part) are 2 stage compressors. This means the first big cylinder compresses the air to some pressure (unknown as it is compressor specific) it then moves through a cooler(usually finned copper pipe) and that removes heat before being fed into the second smaller cylinder which compresses the air to the final operating pressure and is then cooled again before entering the storage tank. This results in lower operating temperaturs in the compressor which increases efficiency and life span.

If you have the cash go for the big one but the cheaper one is probably more than you will ever require for personal use.

[Modified by MikeC, 10:39 PM 5/8/2004]
Old 05-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Larry3x2
Instructor

Depends what you will use it for. Unless you'll be doing a lot of sandblasting or running multiple tools simultaneously I'd get the single stage unit. I have a 15 amp 220v single and I can pressure sandblast just not continuously. Otherwise it's more than enough.

Larry
Old 05-08-2004, 11:13 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I purchased my 6hp 60 gallon from harbor frieght last year for around $289.00. Pretty much the same as that $399.00 you are looking at, one difference I see mine has a bigger cooling pulley on the compressor.

At the time home depot had a similar campbell hausfield for the same price.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Compressor, is one better than the other?

Quick Reply: Air Compressor, is one better than the other?