C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detailing frame and engine area

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 12:51 PM
tommyo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detailing frame and engine area

I am begining a cleanup of my C3 engine compartment and body frame. Can the frame be cleaned of light rust and painted without a body off restoration. Like removing wheels and getting the car on a hoist could a fair job be accomplished. I have been thinking of getting the materials from Quanta any opinion on their products. thanks tom
Old 05-08-2004, 02:19 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: detailing frame and engine area (tommyo)

I dont know anything about Quanta, but I also am doing a frame on resto, and so far I'm pretty pleased. I'm using POR 15. Its pretty convinient to do, too, especially for me, since I have to rent a garage. Its all a matter of how much you wnt to remove, and how detailed you want to be. I used a combo of sand blasting and wire brushing to remove the grime and rust.

[Modified by corvettecris, 11:21 AM 5/8/2004]
Old 05-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: detailing frame and engine area (corvettecris)

cris--
exactly what I wanted to do...(sounds like what the post originator wants also)
got pics?
got tips?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Never heard of quanta, but the best way to do what you want without a body off would be to remove anything you can, to really get in the engine bay I would recommend removing the entire front clip and going at it that way, (That also gives you a chance to inspect for any rust on the birdcage etc )

Typically people use Por products and then paint over them with whatever color they want.

But if you do not want to remove the whole front end, then I would suggest removing all the things you can from the engine bay, wheels etc and going to town with a scrub brush (toilet brushes work GREAT for wheelwells BTW :) ) then paint it up. as for the frame, put it on stands , get yourself a mask and a face shield and go to town. :cheers:
Old 05-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: detailing frame and engine area (Madmikeee)

Will do
DO you just use regular paint for the wheel wells (it's just fiberglass right?) or the POR to keep a consistant finish?...
Old 05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: detailing frame and engine area (6318)

What is POR 15? :confused:
Old 05-11-2004, 04:57 PM
PureSilver
Racer

Default Re: detailing frame and engine area (OHSIXX)

What is POR 15? :confused:
POR-15 is a wonder material. Look it up on the internet. I'm using it (and POR's TopCoat Chassis Black) on a frame-off renovation, after welding & sandblasting. Unlike regular paint, it is impervious to moisture (no porous structure to allow it to go thru), and goes on pretty well. Supposedly even over light rust (wire wheel clean). A little pricey, but good stuff!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:21 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I did mine with the body still on. I took everything off, suspension, doors, glass, interior and engine.
The chassis can be cleaned up with simple green, a wire brush, a scraper and some sandpaper.
I used Krylon semi flat black for most things and were the NCRS book asked for a different shade of semi flat, I used Plasticote's "Hot Rod" black.

I bought all my inspection marking paint, paint sticks and stencils from Quanta, very good company.

cheers
Nick

Get notified of new replies

To detailing frame and engine area

Quick Reply: detailing frame and engine area