C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:56 AM
checklst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Pan

Hey guys I noticed during a trans filter and oil change their was no magnet in the 71 pan, I had a lot of the metal sludge floating in the bottom of the pan(normal) I was wondering if you think I will have a problem adding a magnet like the one in the pic?

It stuck so tight to the metal pan I could not move unless I used 9" lock jaws.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:53 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Transmission Pan (checklst)

would it be better on the outside with a drain plug?
Old 05-08-2004, 10:25 AM
checklst
Racer

Default Re: Transmission Pan (AlwaysWave)

Thanks, I did think about a drain plug ,I get tired of taking a fluid bath every time I change it. As for it working on the outside of the pan it would attract the metal, but it still would not allow it to drain out a plug(this metal gets vary sticky and thick and would not flow out a plug, it takes several wipes to remove this sludge for the pan.

Even on modern cars you are supposed to remove the pans and clean the magnets) every fluid change.

You have given me an idea that maybe a round magnet on the drain plug it self might get most if it. My Mecury outdrive on my boat has a magnet stick attached to the outdrive plug to collect the metal but the magnets build into the plug. The only possable problem might be most drain bolts are of low/poor quality metal and the magnets won't hold vary good to this cheep metal.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Pan

Quick Reply: Transmission Pan