C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Jimmy Shepherd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch problem?

My voltmeter takes a nosedive (to 0) when i turn on parking lights or headlights on my 78. Alternator is good. Any way to check the switch without removing it? I can't find a short anywhere but sure do hate to go to all the trouble of getting that switch out if it is not necessary!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Headlight switch problem? (Jimmy Shepherd)

When I bought my car, my headlights and the switch worked fine. Never thought anything about it. Then in the process of wiring repairs, I removed the dash. Thank God I did, the light switch was a fire waiting to happen. The porcelain surrounding the dimmer rheostat was 70% missing and there was evidence of a near fire in the wiring harness.

I have read here that using halogen headlights creates too much of a load for the switch. However, I can't find where I read that or who posted it. In other words, if you know the answer to this chime in. I'd like to know the solution.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:21 AM
molchaser
Advanced

Default Re: Headlight switch problem? (Jimmy Shepherd)

No Answer, but perhaps a related story

I recently replaced the dash on my 78. I did a little damage :smash: to the foil printed circut where the wiring harness plugs in to the instrument clusters... which I thought I fixed with some glue and a few lightweight jumpers.

My problem.... when I step on brakes or turn the headlights on, the gas guage goes to "full" ...other than that things seem to work just fine :confused:

The only common thing I can think of is that the break lights, the tail lights (which obviously come on with head lights) and gas guage sending unit are in the rear area of the car and may be some how crossed up in the trek to the gauge clusters.

Or

Perhaps the foil printed circuits were "bubazied" and not fixed. The thought of tearing into the dash and spending a couple of hundred bucks on new foils has me hoping you all have run into this before and have an easier less expensive fix.

:chevy

[Modified by molchaser, 11:24 PM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Jimmy Shepherd
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Headlight switch problem? (molchaser)

Think I may have found my problem. My a/c blower also would not come on. I ran a new ground wire from the motor and it works fine now. It may not be related but I definatly need to look for a bad chassis ground. I "fixed" my circuit board just like you did several years ago--may need to rechek it. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight switch problem?

Quick Reply: Headlight switch problem?