C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Question for you folks with Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another Question for you folks with Headers

So you've got aftermarket headers. What do you use for the rest of the system? There seem to be only a couple of choices...

1. Order standard Corvette exhaust. Cut off the part that would normall curve up and bolt to the cast iron manifold. Weld the rest of the exhaust up to a reducer that bolts up to your headers.
2. Have someone else make a complete custom system from the headers back.

Is there another alternative? I brazed my last plain steel system together and it lasted 20 years and still had no holes when I removed it. Is stainless steel worth the cost? Is it hard to weld? Do you put up with sections that are "compressed" / flattened where they make bends?

So many questions... :rolleyes:

Thanks...

[Modified by Z-man, 4:05 PM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 06:23 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Another Question for you folks with Headers (Z-man)

If you don't have a welder or don't want to pay to have the welding done, use clamps
Old 05-07-2004, 06:36 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Another Question for you folks with Headers (GDaina)

Hedman makes these "extensions"

An economical solution to the problem of hooking-up hedders to an existing exhaust system. No longer will the hedder installer have to fabricate or "jury-rig" a hook-up. An "S" bend to allow for clearance of drive-shafts, cross-members, brackets, braces, etc. Comes in three sizes. Also available with a universal flange which will allow hook-up to virtually any hedder manufactured
I have a pair of these things that did not quite fit... :( Some forum members have had success with these things but had to cut and weld them. you could also have an exhaust shop bend you just these pieces to connect your headers to the rear pipes.

Reading your post, it is not clear if you understand that a "standard corvette exhaust" consists of a front pipe clamped to a rear section (connection is just in front of the crossmember). So what you need to do is modify or replace the front section, and connect it to the unmodified rear section.

[Modified by PRND21, 6:39 PM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Another Question for you folks with Headers (PRND21)

Reading your post, it is not clear if you understand that a "standard corvette exhaust" consists of a front pipe clamped to a rear section (connection is just in front of the crossmember). So what you need to do is modify or replace the front section, and connect it to the unmodified rear section.
Thanks and good point. I guess I was refering to the section ahead of the cross-member.

Those Hedman pieces look good, but boy, the "reducer" part is pretty abrupt! Still, not a bad idea...

I have access to welding equipment. I guess I though everybody welded their pipes in nowadays looking at all the undercarriage photos. It just seems like the clamps don't hold up for long except to hold the exhaust tip on...
Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Another Question for you folks with Headers (Z-man)

When I had my custom exhaust made, they welded the system together and welded in flanges where I would need to take it apart to remove things like the drive shaft and gas tank. :party:

[Modified by Bobchad, 7:15 PM 5/9/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Another Question for you folks with Headers

Quick Reply: Another Question for you folks with Headers