C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front plate in California

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front plate in California

This mornig there was a motorcycle cop sitting in the entrace of our development with a radar gun trying to catch speeders on the main road. As I was trying to pull out around him to make a safe right hand turn he yelled at me to put a front plate on. My first instinct was to shout back "lose some weight!" but but instead I said ok.

I have noticed that there are a lot of cars that don't have front plates, and some don't even have a good place to mount them. I have only seen a few C5s with front plates.

Furthermore California doesn't even issue tags for the front plate.

What are the consequenses if I continue to not use a front plate?

~Jay
Old 05-07-2004, 11:49 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Front plate in California (Jay M)

I think that technically you are supposed to have one, but look at the C-5's around, never a front plate. i wouldn't worry about it. Keep a box of donuts on the front seat and throw them overboard should you see lights in your rearview. :jester (My apologies in advance to the law enforcement in the audience, but this is probably the least of the acerbic comments that are sure to follow.) :thumbs:
Old 05-07-2004, 11:53 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Same story here in Texas although the only drivers who've received tickets (that I know of) were stopped in Dallas. :eek:

My vette is registered 'Antique' and so far I've never been questioned about the front plate. However, do to bad airflow on '68s and early '69s the front plate blocks 10% of your air flow !!! :yesnod:

Tell that one to Mr. Smokey ! :thumbs:
Old 05-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Front plate in California (R. Bruno)

Keep a box of donuts on the front seat and throw them overboard should you see lights in your rearview
:lol: LOL not a bad idea!

In all honesty, the cops in ther area are really cool and often give a thumbs up or complement my car. But if I have to drive by this particular guy every day.... he may decide to hastle me.

plus in 100 degree heat, I don't want ANY restrictions on the grill!

I do have historic plates, but he only saw the front of the car when he yelled at me. :rolleyes:

~Jay
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Furthermore California doesn't even issue tags for the front plate"

Help me understand something. If the state doesn't issue plates for the front, how can they require them?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:44 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Front plate in California (Neo Fender)

Never understood the purpose of a State required front license plate. :confused:
Old 05-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Front plate in California (Neo Fender)

"Furthermore California doesn't even issue tags for the front plate"
Help me understand something. If the state doesn't issue plates for the front, how can they require them?
sorry I was affrasid I might confuse someone with that statement. They do issue the plate, but don't give you a sticker to put on it. So you get two plates and one sticker. The sticker goes on the back plate. No sticker for the front plate.

If the front plate isn't worthy of a sticker, then why must I mount it? :crazy:

~Jay
Old 05-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. Misery (Missouri) requires front tags as well (see signature pic).
Old 05-07-2004, 12:57 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the same in Ontario (Canada) we only get a sticker for the rear plate (it goes on the front for trucks)

Steve :steering:

[Modified by stpman, 2:40 PM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 01:01 PM
zzyzx
Drifting

Default Re: Front plate in California (stpman)

I got a ticket on my parked car for not having a front plate in California.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe it became an issue fairly recently. In larger metro areas they now use photo enforcement at traffic signals to stop the rash of redlight runners and increase revenue. They take a photo of the front if you trip a road sensor after the light turns red. The main risk for most of us with no front plate is driving into these areas.

Ironically, this was enthusatically supported by the insurance industry, thinking their claims for accidents would decrease, thus maximizing the bottom line. Instead, the number of rearend collisions (as people slammed on the brakes to avoid a ticket) went through the roof. Cronic long term injuries (typically neck and back) also went up. Oh well, guess they'll have to raise rates, huh?

Oh, and the cops I know have move up to mochas and pastries from Starbucks. A donut would be considered an insult if offered as a bribe.

If you get the idea that this all makes me :mad :mad :mad , you would be right! Can't the cops just do the job? Save the money from the super expensive camera systems (paid for by the cities - run by the vendor with a small cut of the ticket going to cities) and hire a cop for this.

:rant:

Hans
Old 05-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Front plate in California (Wrencher)

The state law requires front plates, you CAN an Will get cited with the attending monetary fine to increase the state revenues that are taxed by our open border policies with Mexico. I am not a cop but, I would thank the motor officer by installing my front plate and giving him a friendly wave the next time you see him! The cop could have citied you but, is giving you a BIG break! I have the front plate on my 72 LT-1 my wife doesn't have one on her C5 but, will after she is citied one day, I have warned her several times about it! Some staes do not require front plates but, California does!
Old 05-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Front plate in California (stpman)

Steve,
The fine in Ontario for not having a front plate is $175.00. I tried this compromise but found little sympathy with a local constable. I do keep the real plate in the back of the car and he let me install it on the spot without issuing a ticket. Actually he was quite sympathetic but noted that rules are rules.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:16 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Ohio is the same way: two plates, one sticker. I just put the front tag on the dash inside winshield. I keep it in the clear plastic wrap it came in so it won't scratch the dash.

A few years ago, a buddy and I were in his Plymoth Laser and we got pulled over for having the plate on the dash. The car never came with a license bracket so thats why he put it there. The cop started to write my buddy a ticket so I argued with him. I told him that I was a law student (lie #1) and that there is no law stating that the plate can't be in the window as long as it was visable (lie #2). Then I asked him why he didn't see it because he was driving towards us. No answer. The part that really pissed him off was that I said I would file a complaint with his supervisor for an illegal stop and harrasment if he didn't let us go (lie #3). He let us go, and my buddy went home to change his shorts.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Front plate in California (vetteboy1976kr)

Just keep the front plate behind your passenger seat like me. Then you can show him the plate and say " it fell off and I havent had time to put back".

I tried to figure out how I would put a front plate on and still Im baffled.

Mine is a daily driver and has seen many of the cities finest but no one has ever said anything yet in 2 years. :)
Old 05-07-2004, 03:50 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

I bought my car from a cop and he didn't have a front plate on it (he didn't even give me one). 2 years later I got ticketed for not having a front plate! Damn. If its a law and you have to have it thats one thing, but this big grey area is no good. My 911 doesn't have one, but I am still keeping the one on the Vette.
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To Front plate in California

Quick Reply: Front plate in California