C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows about locks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who knows about locks?

Since my car is a 69 the square key (code E) fits the doors and ignition which are all originals. The rear comparment uses the round key....(code H) I have never had a round key so last year at the NCRS meet in Orlando I bought two sets of new blanks with the correct codes. My question is this ... Can a locksmith take my rear compartment lock (Which is unlocked) and cut the new keys to fit the original lock?The ones I called tell me to by a matched set. Some say they may have something in stock that would work. I really don't think they understand what I want them to do, like they aren't listening to what I'm saying. Any ideas??
Old 05-07-2004, 09:26 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Who knows about locks? (bluevetteman)

Yep. Coding a lock to a key, or a key to a lock, is simple stuff for a locksmith.

[Modified by tpiini, 8:27 AM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 09:38 AM
criz51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:iagree:

Had the same thing done on my '73.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Ironic!

I just had the same thing done for my 1970. I never had the round head key to operate my center rear storage compartment. I also have a lock on my spare tire which was keyed differently than the glove box. My doors/ignition are keyway type "J", my glove box was the correct "K" keyway, and the spare tire lock was keyway "H". From the factory the spare tire lock and glove box were keyed identically, so mine both needed to be type "K".

I took both to a local locksmith. Fortunately, there was a young guy there that told me "he could do anything". After a lot of work on his part I walked out with a key that operated my glove box. He also re-worked the internals of the spare tire lock so that it works off the same key that operates the glove box. It was a tedious process, as I watched his every move. The nice thing is that he was a perfectionist. He re-worked the spare tire lock in such a manner so that he didn't need to alter the outer slot, so the lock looks identical to the way it did when I handed it to him. He worked on these things for a good 1 1/2 hours. I wanted the car correct, so the $50 he charged me was, in my mind, well worth it. Especially considering the perfect job that was done.

[Modified by ettev, 10:03 AM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Who knows about locks? (ettev)

I guess I just have to find a locksmith who wants to take the time to do the job for then. Customer service around here seems to be a difficult thing to find. Like they don't care if you walk out. It happens a lot.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

IF your original lock hasn't been "messed with" over the years, the cylinder will have a code stamped on it. Using a Briggs and Stratton book, the code can be converted to the "sizes" of the different pins on the lock. Using a cutter, a locksmith can cut a key using a cutter. I've seen it done dozens of times. My neighbor is the guy who does ALL the locks for Paragon, Mid America, C Central, Long Island, etc. Chuck
Old 05-07-2004, 06:47 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who knows about locks? (Chuck Gongloff)

cool where are the numbers on the lock cylinder ???
Old 05-07-2004, 08:28 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Who knows about locks? (comp)

cool where are the numbers on the lock cylinder ???
I think they're inside the tumblers. I believe you could use a small flashlight to look inside for them.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:59 PM
vette75406
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being that I work for a gm dealer parts dept. I can tell you that most any of them can also fix your locks for you, in fact if you come to up to alabama ill do it for free , probably not worth the trip though , would make a nice road trip with the tops out :) The guys behind the parts counter do not normally charge the same rates as the service dept, so should be affordable :D

Get notified of new replies

To Who knows about locks?

Quick Reply: Who knows about locks?