C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Noise Levels-SEMA Cali Standards

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Vehicle Noise Levels-SEMA Cali Standards

Anyone had any experience with this standardized testing of vehicle noise levels in California? Local Police are ticketing Honda Civics and the like (Ricers if you wish) for non-factory mufflers (read fart pipes). The campaign may extend to Corvettes and vintage V8s as the summer season progresses. The infraction here is totally at the subjective discretion of the Police Officer as to what is loud and what is not. And the import drivers have taken this to court and lost despite the subjectivity. In other words there is no objective manner in which to test the noise level. Any thoughts on this? And what aftermarket mufflers meet the 95 decibel test?
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8065
Old 05-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Vehicle Noise Levels-SEMA Cali Standards (paul67)

Pretty much need a DB meter to test it. I'd check the regs (available online, my next stop) to see what the standards are. Is it resting idle, drive-by at 10 feet, or what? If you knew that your car would pass the standard and you could document it, you'll win in court, but still have to appear...

In real life, it's all relative. In my town (60K inhabitants, upscale with a large university), the rich college kids with fart pipe Acuras get hounded mercilessly. As the mechanic that keeps the patrol cars of many local law enforcement personnel on the road, I doubt if I'll ever get a ticket for my sidepipes, which are definitely a bit over (guessing 103 DB or so). When I was a kid the shoe was on the other foot. I got three tickets in 15 minutes when I put a set of Cyclone "Purple Hornies" on my '66 GTO and went cruising :eek: .

Hans
Old 05-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Vehicle Noise Levels-SEMA Cali Standards (Wrencher)

The test procedure is SAE J1169. The fine is not that much but if pressed one could try that one on a court. It may not impress the local constabulary or judiciary however.

I have not had a problem with these chambered pipes. In fact have been complimented on the sound by Officers on two occasions. But I do not cruise at 3:00am! A 1967 is not exactly too fast-too furious or whatever that movie was. Anyone seen that Mazda commercial with a middle-aged couple at a Ricer night race location looking for directions? Good marketing but it is not giving the right message to young people.

[Modified by paul67, 8:55 PM 5/6/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Vehicle Noise Levels-SEMA Cali Standards

Quick Reply: Vehicle Noise Levels-SEMA Cali Standards