C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Bill Oxley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up"

This is a Quote from Schmucker from a previous thead : “Wow, I didn't know it was important to have something colored right that no one will ever see. (talking about the undercarriage)
I've always had terrible luck with POR15. It always flakes off after a couple of years, even the stuff we painted over, and when using acid etch. It just never holds to the metal. UnQuote
No comment on the POR15 issue, but I do have a comment on the other issues: , but
I have total respect for your comment as is quoted above. However, “Some of us will see it differently”.
I’m a car collector from way back, about 1967, and, in my opinion, it does make a difference “who sees it”.
That’s not to say that every C3 should be a “frame-off” restoration, but from a buyer’s perspective, I will pay more, maybe up to twice as much, for a fresh frame off resto if it was properly done.
When you think about the amount of work that goes into a “frame-off” resto, it is just incredible!
The end product will be amazingly different. A “frame up”, (as many call it) IMHO, is usually a cosmetic paint and “fix what’s broke”, whereas a “frame-off” is a fix/restore everything!!!!
I fully realize that some “frame-offs” can be, and are sometimes cosmetic in nature too, but that is quite easy to differentiate. The good ones are easy to segment.
To me, IMHO, the undercarriage of one our C3’s, differentiates the high end cars from the “also- rans” (We expect the exterior to be beautiful.

Of course, not everyone will agree, but just my opinion.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:53 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up" (Bill Oxley)

:iagree: ....Take a peek at the undercarriage of a correctly done frame off....you will be impressed. :chevy
Old 05-06-2004, 08:03 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I went with a frame up. I didn't have the time or space for a frame off. It would have been nice but I would have to lay on the ground to see all the hard work. As it was it took about a year to do. :cheers:
Old 05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up" (crf311)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Everything that can be done on a frame-off can also be done on a frame-up except the small portion of the body and frame that connect to each other.

Mine is frame-up.

BTW, I always thought the whole idea of taking it off the frame was to make the work easier to do.

[Modified by OHSIXX, 9:09 PM 5/6/2004]

[Modified by OHSIXX, 9:15 PM 5/6/2004]
Old 05-06-2004, 10:01 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if I really understand the point of the post? One good thing about a frame up resto is that you can do it during the winter. On my car I did the rearend one winter. The engine and front end another winter and the interior another winter. When you are done you can wait a couple of years and then start all over again. I have owned my Vette for 16 years now and have never missed a summer of driving. I don't think that I would want to have the body off my car when it is 75 degrees and sunny.

[Modified by 73Ken73, 9:02 PM 5/6/2004]
Old 05-06-2004, 10:51 PM
bmar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up" (73Ken73)

if i had mine to do over again, or if i get serious about the '79, i would pull the body. i think in the long run it is easier and you can do a far better job. Bill
Old 05-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up" (bmar)

I live in California so we enjoy nice rust free Vettes here. I have known many cars to be screwed up during frame off restos! That being said, I do appreciate the effort of doing one but, I couldn't stand not having my car to drive for the extended period of time. My LT-1 had a general "clean-up" after I pulled the motor, trans and differential Xmember out, it may not be a "frame off" but the car is solid and decent looking underneath. Many people do not have the resources to properly do a "frame off" and many shops I know that have done such work, returned a car that was not as good as the money would have warranted. I drove my car in an autocross in the rain within weeks of finishing the chassis and engine work, the clean up underneath was never the same afterwords. I would feel guilty about trashing a frame off and am happy with the workmanship that went into my restoation (12K+ miles with no problems so far!) The $20K cost of a proper "frame off" is not worth the expense to me because of the way I use my Vette (I drive it!) You will be guaranteed to be sunk in your investment if you pay for a frame off unless you find a cheap L88 or other rare Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up"

Quick Reply: Frame off resto vs "frame up" or cosmetic "fix up"