C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end fiberglass loose, suggestions?

Old 05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
mboln52000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end fiberglass loose, suggestions?

Hello all,
When i purchased my project '69, the previous owner had started "knocking off" the passenger side front fender. Its is completly loose from the plenum extension and the cowl top bonding strip. The drivers side is loose from the cowl top bondning strip to the windshield frame, but everything else seems tight.

I believe the drivers side fender has been replaced in the past as it has some pretty poor looking bonding areas underneath that have a brittle, yellow looking glue on them.

What do you suggest I do? I was thinking about knocking the drivers side loose to , and removing the whole front end, cleaning up all the bonding strips, and reglueing. Any suggestions? Is it going to be a real pain to put back on and line up?

Old 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: front end fiberglass loose, suggestions? (mboln52000)

If you are happy with the alignment that you currently have I would drill a few holes for screws so you can easily realign it after you apply adhesive. I think you will have to totally remove it to clean up the mating surfaces and to have access to all areas to apply adhesive. As far as the bonding strips on the fenders as long as they are tight I would not remove them. I would however totally reglass the seams (with resin and mat) on the outside surface so they don't show the bonding line. Good Luck, Craig :cheers:
Old 05-07-2004, 11:01 AM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: front end fiberglass loose, suggestions? (CF6873)

:iagree: If the alignment looks good to you, keep it that way. Take your time on laying glass in the seams and make sure you get the bubbles out. Also make sure you use the proper materials for FRP panels, not for the SMC ones (73 and later). I use the Eckler's stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To front end fiberglass loose, suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end fiberglass loose, suggestions?