C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing?

I guess there is a couple of reasons why I am wandering about this.
First, I know that I am going to have to run tall valve covers on my BB to clear the roller rockers. I know you can use the spacer trick with the short ones but they don't make the short valve covers in the style that I am wanting. Will Tall valve covers definately not fit with the power booster?

Second, What are the advantages of the hydro boost system? Is it worth it? Is it a must upgrade for autoX?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (BlackRat)

that is a pickle of a question..

I have a hydrobooster and I LOVE IT! however I use this car for a weekend warrior. the Hydro makes it eaiser to drive.

I have seen some folks say that you loose pedal feedback vs a manual brake setup. I do not x-cross so I cannot answner that question from personal experience.

I would think it would be a benfit, but you would have to re-learn how your car handels/brakes. WIth a Hydro they are more senstive/powerful IMHO.

chad
Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (71'AirStrike)

:lurk:
Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (71coupe)

:beatdeadhorse:
Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (427V8)

I haven't auto-crossed but I do have a hydroboost. I love it! I went from manual to hydro because that was an easier cost effective solution for power brakes.

Dick Guldstrand told me you need power brakes to have really good braking on a C3. He also said it would be very expensive to convert to power. So I installed the hydro boost myself. Dick is sceptical and his first impression of my system was poor because the hydroboost needs about 100 miles before it feels right.

I plan on having him completely rework the suspension soon. Hopefully he will take the car on a good test drive and I will ask him how he like the system now.

I have moderate performance pads. The stock pads were very difficult to modulate and made heel toe shifting nearly impossible. The new pads feel much better and the car will stop effortlessly. I still lock the brakes in a true panic situation, but I can quickly un-lock them to keep the car under control.

As an alternative I think there are some smaller vaccume boosters available.

~Jay

[Modified by Jay M, 8:24 PM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (BlackRat)

Last year I had a LS7 setup in my Vette.
I used a set of 3946074 aluminium heads, solid roller and stud girdles......cleared the brake booster.

Then I upgraded to Dart Pro 1 aluminium heads, solid roller, stud girdles...... tall valve covers would not clear the brake booster any more.
So I went for the Hydroboost setup. (Still have the 3946074 heads on the shelf)

Dart heads are taller than the 69 ZL1 heads, so I presume too steel heads.

The hydroboost was great for the LS7 setup, as I had "no" vacuum at low rpms and thus city driving for the brake booster with that engine. I only had brakes to speak of at over 80km/h untill I got Hydroboost

My new 540 is lower compression of 10,3:1 and I guess that it is not as much needed now, but I have gotten to like it!

As to autoX....don't know.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:31 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (Summerfun)

It's on my list of things to do!:) Because I have a hard time taking off the D side valve cover to adjust my SR cam motor.

IMO - If your brakes work good with your existing vacuum. No problem.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:36 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (gkull)

It's on my list of things to do! :)

Me too :smiliedrool:
Old 05-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing? (71coupe)

Would not go any other way. System works great and plenty of pedal feel. Definitly worth it.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:27 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is definitely worth it. I run tall valve covers to clear the stud girdle and there is still lots of room for removing the vavle covers. The brakes are also extremely powerful.
I do think if you want to cut costs go to the auto wreckers, there are lots of good used units cheap. I have about $125 total in the unit and new lines.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing?

Quick Reply: Is the Hydro boost brake system worth it? Better for autoXing?