C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad leak around windshield, help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Doug70vert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad leak around windshield, help

When it rains I might as well not put the top up.
The water comes in somewhere at the top of the winshield and pours out behind the header trim. Can I just replace the windshield or will I need a more in depth repair on a car this old? There is some rust in the upper winshield frame.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Bad leak around windshield, help (Doug70vert)

could be the molding that holds the windshield in place thats starting to be alittle bad.
i had that on my car also the water ran on the inside off the windshield when it rained.
i just took the crome loose around the top off the windshield and sealed it under there with some silicone works great no leaks.
could also be the rust that have eaten thru at some point of the birdcage and it going thru there.
my advice is to take some chrome parts off and see how it looks under there and go from there.
its not the windshield that is bad
Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Bad leak around windshield, help (Doug70vert)

pull all of the trim off, inside and out. Look it over carefully. If the steel frame isn't rusted to nothing, you can remove the windshield and reseal. If it is, ya got a lot of work ahead of you.

I had the exact same leak and got lucky. It was just the old sealant. Had a mobile windshield guy come over, he removed, cleaned, and reset the windshield for $80.00....no rust here..

Get notified of new replies

To Bad leak around windshield, help

Quick Reply: Bad leak around windshield, help