C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down?

I own a 1981 with a rebuilt stock 350. The rebuild is about 7 years old and I do not know how many miles. For 2 years I have had a small smoke problem during startup that has now spread to sometimes when I stomp on the gas a large puff of smoke can be seen. I will be doing a compression check soon, and believe I will probably need to go in and replace the Piston Rings and valve stem seals. I was wondering...

If I have to tear the engine down to get to the Piston Rings, what HorsePower Add-Ons should I concentrate on to boost the current 190 HP to at least 300 HP?
- roller rockers (what size, brand, or type)
- new camshaft (what size, brand, or type)
- rods, valve springs, valves
I have no idea what I should mess with, what I should leave alone, or what I should mess with first. This is my daily driver for now, at least for the next 3 years. So I do want to keep it reliable, but I want more HP to play with.

I will be doing this with a friend that has a garage with the tools and knowledge to do this. I have not talked to him about what we should add, and was hoping for some insight before I did.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:07 PM
i885744
Pro

Default Re: HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down? (1981)

it really depends on what you want to do with the car? Will it ever see the track? Will it mostly be driven on street? Is it automatic or manual? Most importantly, does it have to pass a smog check or state inspection (Just be glad you aren't in california) ? A set of pistons to up the compression a bit, a cam, porting the heads, intake, exhaust and carb will keep your budget around 1000 if you shop around and would be a huge improvement over your motor.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Default Re: HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down? (i885744)

i885744,
To answer your questions:

Will it ever see the track? NO, although I do like my Japanese Rice with American Gravy from time to time.

Is it automatic or manual? Automatic

Does it have to pass a smog check or state inspection? State Inspection with No smog check, in fact I am running with No catilitic convertor, just a stright pipe in its place flanged at both ends. I can put the convertor back on since I flanged its ends also.

How do I put in bigger pistons, do I have to bore out the engine? or is there same size diameter pistons that can give greater compression?

How do I port the heads?

What do you mean by intake, exhaust and carb, what changes here? Right now I have a stock carburator.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
71vetteLT-1
Instructor

Default Re: HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down? (1981)

i believe he means domed pistons, check out summitracing.com or jegs.com they give the specs for the different size domes and what compression ratio they will give you with your certain heads.

take your heads to a machine shop to get them ported, unless you are good with a dremel then follow this guide... http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/Standa...ng%20Guide.htm

by intake he means intake manifold (usually u get your manifold port matched with your heads) and exhaust he means headers/exhaust system

u can also get a higher performance carburetor...like i said, check out summit and jegs for some parts...also go to corvettefaq.com and read up on some of the stuff they have in the engine section...that website can be verrrrryyy helpful :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down?

Quick Reply: HorsePower Add-Ons, what to do when the engine is torn down?