C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting hard to afford a C3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:12 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Getting hard to afford a C3?

Probably more a question across the board for all vette owners, and this probably belongs in off topic but I just need to :rant: .

Gas prices here in east central Pennsylvania have gone up 20 cents in one week. I thought it was bad at $1.65 for regular unleaded, but this morning it's up to $1.86, $1.95 for mid-grade, and $2.00 for high test.

I'm sure we can all afford the gas, but come on! Why the exhorbitant rise in prices?

This country needs an enema. I'm voting under the premise that if your in, your out. Time for some new blood running this machine. Someone that has no past or present ties to the oil companies.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss
Old 05-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (ettev)

6,16$ a gallon here... shell upped the price by another 20 cents a gallon since yesterday :rant:

anyone want to buy twin turbo small block??? I think I'm going to isntall a suckzuki 3 cylinder :(
77BuffaloVet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:iagree:

Getting close to $1.90 in Buffalo, New York...It makes it really hard to watch the gas gage go down so quickly in the vette...
J R C
Racer

You should see the archives for posts from other countries (including our neighbor to the north); $4 or $5 a gal over in some parts of Europe isn't uncommon and I'm sure Canada is equiv to over $3 US by now ... at least we've got the gas, I can still remember gas rationing when I was still in high school (remember the odd & even plate system for when you could fill up, boomers only of course!) ... with summer quickly approaching gas will only go up with increasing demand this summer ... hi-test is about $2.25 in some parts of Chicago now ... the 'vette is strictly for only pleasure trips for me, otherwise its a TDI New Beetle (turbo diesel - 45 MPG around town) so no matter who is in the white house it's not going to change!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (J R C)

In this part of Canada today it is $0.85CDN/liter. Doing the volume and currency conversions that works out to $2.33US for 87 octane. It is predicted that the price will be $1.00CDN/liter ($2.85US per US gallon) this summer.

[Modified by paul67, 10:22 AM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I'm sure we can all afford the gas
Thats just what the VP and his buddies want to hear,so the public has to pay another $5-10 a tankful they'll get over it. Still selling SUV all day long.Did you see the iinterview a couple of weeks ago on 20/20 or oneof those news shows, Mr Woodword stated Mr bush has/had a plan with the Arabs to drop the oil prices in October before the election! Very interesting as they used to say on "Laugh-In"
Old 05-05-2004, 10:30 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (gtr1999)

I think we need much higher gas prices. A C3 is a great hobby, but a poor daily driver. My biggest peeve is all the Suburbans I see cruising around here. Instead of an incentive to conserve via higher gas prices, they get tax breaks, like exempting "trucks" from gas guzzler tax and allowing immediate depreciation for a truck exceeding 6000 lbs. Crazy laws sending the wrong message. In addition to all the supply problems and dependence on foreign oil, DEMAND for oil is skyrocketing. And all I see is the public crying about higher gas prices and politicians reacting to that crying. MJ
Old 05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (MNJack)

I think we need much higher gas prices. A C3 is a great hobby, but a poor daily driver. My biggest peeve is all the Suburbans I see cruising around here. Instead of an incentive to conserve via higher gas prices, they get tax breaks, like exempting "trucks" from gas guzzler tax and allowing immediate depreciation for a truck exceeding 6000 lbs. Crazy laws sending the wrong message. In addition to all the supply problems and dependence on foreign oil, DEMAND for oil is skyrocketing. And all I see is the public crying about higher gas prices and politicians reacting to that crying. MJ
It's not so much that gas prices are rising, but that they've been too low for a long time. Adjusted for inflation, it's as cheap as it's ever been. I am really tired of listening to people :cry about gas prices.

also, there's always a spike in prices in the late spring/early summer. People start driving more (vacations, etc.) and demand goes up. We all know the supply and demand equation.

[Modified by Jeff 6T9, 9:41 AM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I WISH!

I pay $2.399 for Chevron 91 octane :yesnod: :cuss
Old 05-05-2004, 12:10 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (SanDiegoPaul)

well thats not so bad....
here the gas costs about 6$ gallon..
lucky too have a smallblock....
Old 05-05-2004, 12:11 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (SanDiegoPaul)

For anyone that wants higher gas prices , let me know where you live so I can open a station . That way I can charge you 6$ per gallon and you will be sooooooo happy ! :reddevil

gman
Old 05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (ram82fire)

The gas prices are getting out of hand for sure but that's not the only problem.
I just priced out Delco replacement parts to do the brakes on my Silverado and the parts alone add up to $800 Canadian taxes add another $120. The dealer price is double that :mad :banghead:

Steve
Old 05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (ram82fire)

:iagree: yeah, kind of easy to shout you want higher gas prices...let's talk again when it reaches 6$. It may seem like a way to get the gas guzzlers off the road but even with an econobox the weekly fill up gets to be a large chunk out of your budget. But, we can trade, I'll send you our expensive gas, you can send me your cheap stuff :)
Old 05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
verskel
Safety Car

$1.83 to $1.88 here in Texas. Not too concerned yet until it passes the $2.50 mark. :crazy:

My BBC is a weekend car so fill-ups are not all too frequent. :D .......okay, that's enough damage, I'm :leaving:
Old 05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

The upside. Less traffic
Old 05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (w1ctc)

Hmmmm....possibly a bad month to put a 575HP 406ci in the Vette ? :lol:
Old 05-05-2004, 01:37 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Everyone's already stated the point I wanted to make but here it is summarized:
1.) Gas is extremely cheap in the U.S. compared to the rest of the world and even Canada.
2.) Adjusted for inflation, gas is actually cheaper than it was 30 years ago.
3.) Gas is a commodity item, the price changes from day to day based on complex patterns of seasonality, supply and demand, world politics, etc. It always goes up before summer, drops a bit in the fall, and so forth.
4.) Many don't understand the U.S. is the largest PRODUCER of oil, not the middle east (we are also the biggest consumer).
5.) The "new blood running the machine" option (that would be Kerry) is against drilling for oil in Alaska's arctic national wildlife area. You want mega-barrels of cheap oil? There is is. By the way, the "new blood" option also suggested increasing tax on gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting hard to afford a C3?

Old 05-05-2004, 01:45 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (SpyderD)

I was watching the news here if florida. I think they said that 38 cents a gallon are taxes for the fed, and another 26 were local taxes.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (SpyderD)

I would question the statement that the USA is the largest "producer" of oil. Perhaps you are referring to refining capacity from imported crude. Just as a sidebar, oil reserves in the tar sands in Alberta, Canada exceed those of the Middle East. Extraction techniques are being developed that will make that tar an economical source of fuel for North America in a very few years and assure some confidence in supply. But I do agree with the sentiments that gasoline is underpriced and this encourages the use of personal vehicles that are wasteful in energy use.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:00 PM
i885744
Pro

Default Re: Getting hard to afford a C3? (paul67)

We could argue about the gas prices all day and all night. One thing i know for sure is that its wrong when i have to drive my 73 on long trips with no ac because its more efficient than borrowing my mom's suv.

Quick Reply: Getting hard to afford a C3?