C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:32 PM
jessed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75?

what is the best way to remove all the bolts on the bumper cover?
Old 05-04-2004, 11:47 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75? (jessed)

with an electric wench...that's prolly the easiest all though not the best
Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75? (jessed)

Will you be replacing the cover with new? I tore off my cover in pieces and took out the bolts from the front. Replaced bumper with TruFlex.

If you are saving the cover, try a 1/4" drive ratchet and have the heating pad ready for the resultant stiff neck.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 05-05-2004, 12:23 AM
bmar
Racer

Default Re: What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75? (74FLCONV)

most of the bolts on my '77 broke off and the ones that didn't, i wished they had. use a lot of rust penetrent on the ones that don't break off right away. don't even worry about trying to save the bolts, just buy the stainless steel replacement kit. If you have a big pair of diagonal cut pliers, you may be able to loosen the nut enough to cut the bolt.

[Modified by bmar, 1:25 AM 5/5/2004]

[Modified by bmar, 1:27 AM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75? (bmar)

My bumper was being replaced so I had no reason to be neat.

I Removed the tailights and the anchor bolts behind the license. Then I used a sawzall to cut around about 1" from the joint to the deck and fenders. Be carefull not to cut any wiring. Then let it drop. The stock retainers cannot be reused with a replacement cover but I did want to save as much as possible for latter selling. But a couple of studs broke anyway from the rust. So you might as well just use a small cutting wheel and cut each stud off the retainer rather then messing around....
Old 05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75? (KenSny)

I did something similar to Ken. My '75's rear bumper was "gone" anyways, so I used a new utility razor knife, set the depth on 3/8", and about 1/4" away from the main body I just "cut-away". I then took a 90 degree angle grinder, carefully ground off the top of each retaining stud and simply "poked" it through. Mine were way too rusty to reuse. Had the bumper off in less than an hour. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75?

Quick Reply: What is the easist way to remove rear bumper cover on a 75?