C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

these cars don't have a lot of room

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default these cars don't have a lot of room

...for stuff that originally doesn't belong in it. Here's where I had to mount the intercooler (other one will be in exactly the same spot on the other side..it does fit..just)

I couldn't put them in the front because the hinging action would interfere with them and if I put them further back the tire would rub. It was either this or cutting holes in the hood and mounting them callaway style.

I will have to duct cool air from the front (not that much of a problem, have ducts, hoses and housings for 2 hoses that fit on the intercooler cores) and it will exit on the side so the gill will have to be opened up considerable, probably even needs a 2nd hole above it in the flip front

Old 05-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (Twin_Turbo)

...for stuff that originally doesn't belong in it. Here's where I had to mount the intercooler (other one will be in exactly the same spot on the other side..it does fit..just)

I couldn't put them in the front because the hinging action would interfere with them and if I put them further back the tire would rub. It was either this or cutting holes in the hood and mounting them callaway style.

I will have to duct cool air from the front (not that much of a problem, have ducts, hoses and housings for 2 hoses that fit on the intercooler cores) and it will exit on the side so the gill will have to be opened up considerable, probably even needs a 2nd hole above it in the flip front

Looks good!, Idea, maybe open up the gill to be more along the lines of a C5, not in appearance but in size, problem being that you will be needing to reinforce the top and bottom sections so they don't crack with the clamshell type hood
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (Madmikeee)

what grill do you mean ? the front or the sides?? The front does not rest on the nose, I could enlarge those holes significantly without any chance of it cracking. The whole deal is put together with steel, rivets and epoxy bonding adhesive...it will withstand a nuclear blast :)
Old 05-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I said Gill not grill :) Meaning the side opening , and you call yourself a vette builder.. sheesh :rolleyes: :lol: :jester :lol:
Old 05-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Do like the racers do, put it in the passenger seat
Old 05-04-2004, 02:50 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow - gonna get crowded fast under that hood.

Well Marck, no one said it would be easy to earn the username Twin-Turbo.
Looking good ... seems like daily progress lately.

Mikee says the gill opening could get larger, but at the expense of the
strength of the area where the bottom meets the hood.

Are those the wheels you're gonna run up front ? They look huge.
How wide are they ?

:seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 2:52 PM 5/4/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (NHvette)

Wow - gonna get crowded fast under that hood.

Well Marck, no one said it would be easy to earn the username Twin-Turbo.
Looking good ... seems like daily progress lately.

Mikee says the gill opening could get larger, but at the expense of the
strength of the area where the bottom meets the hood.

Are those the wheels you're gonna run up front ? They look huge.
How wide are they ?

:seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 2:52 PM 5/4/2004]

YA What he said!! :hat
Old 05-04-2004, 03:09 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

It seems that you are too far into the project, but this would have been a good idea. You could have done your hood via C4 flip. i.e. leave the front bumper in the original location and make your one piece start where the fenders are already seperated from the front bumper. Then you could put the intercooler(s) behind the two front grills.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (79VetteMike)

That's what I meant in my initial post, make the hole larger both in horizontal and vertical direction.

I actually thought about hinging the front where the nose stays in place but that would heva been a major pita to build and since my front bumoper didn't fit all too well grafting it on was the better solution.

As for the wheels, yeah they are the ones that will go on. they are 3 piece modular wheels 16x10 in the front and 16x12 in the rear

As for the progress, yeah pretty much daily (holidays). Building stuff makes that things take shape, where before I was working on rebuilding smaller parts, gathering stuff and figuring out where to put what. I may drop the engine and tranny in tomorrow and throw the body back on thet (will take body off for engine/trans install,...much easier and faster since I have modified the trans crossmember and it needs some more work. I chopped it up and put the 2 round exhaust holes further outboard)

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 2:19 PM 5/4/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I said Gill not grill :) Meaning the side opening , and you call yourself a vette builder.. sheesh :rolleyes: :lol: :jester :lol:
well..it's more a lack of reading skills :) :D
Old 05-04-2004, 03:22 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

If you still have pictures of Monty's setup you could see that he had his A/A intercooler very close to the radiator. I known that your nose is close :eek:

My extra large tranny cooler is nearly horizontal up front. That way it doesn't impead air to the radiator. I've also explained to people that it works the best the way it is.

Just think about it a minute. When do auto trannys get the hotest? Right, at the starting line with your foot on the brake or transbrake on. Without any movement of air because your stopped. a horizontal "flat" posistion makes use of convection currants. Much better than the same radiator placed verticaly. Also if you worried then you install a small fan to always move air through it. At speed mine had fast moving air passing across the top of the fins for cooling when not as much is required.

Now TT back to your case. Electric fans would allow you to place the intercoolers anywhere. That is as long as the output side was in a low air pressure area. That's why the Calaways used the mid hood to get the negative pressure area. Too near the front window and it becomes a high pressure area.

I have my power steering cooler placed behind the fender vent behind the wheel.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (gkull)

I know how monty did it (his pages are still up, http://www.twinturbocorvette.com ) but he has 1 intercooler, I have 2. I tried to fit them in fromt of the radiator but the ligh servos are in the way. I do have 4 detmar tunnel blowers that will be able to supply the air to the intercoolers when it proves too little. The exit area is a low pressure area with air flowing past and creating a suction of sorts, and I will hook the intercoolers to a duct in the nose (have those lying around) so that high speed cool air goes to it.

As for tranny, no auto tranny here. I have a manual 6 spd and a set of rear end pumps, one for the diff and one for the tranny to circulate oil through a set of coolers. I won't expect any heat problems there, the only reason I'm installing them is because I used to do a lot of german autobahn driving and intend to do it again... my diff got sweltering hot one time when I driving at about max speed for 15 minutes.

If this fails to work because of cooling problems I can always mount them callaway style and cut 2 large holes in my hood...but I thought I'd try this first :)

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 2:37 PM 5/4/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 04:03 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Could you make a light fixture where one of them is stationary and the space for the other light is actually an air duct? Or go with electric lights. Or, you could put the intercoolers behind the wheels and exit through the GILLS. The electric fans are definately good ideas.

Here's another idea...Put them in front of the wheels and let them exit(hot air) in front of the tire.....

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 3:05 PM 5/4/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (79VetteMike)

The electric lights won't give a lot more room and I don't like the intecoolers hugged against the radiator.

Or, you could put the intercoolers behind the wheels and exit through the GILLS

that's how I have it now.

There's not enough room in front of the wheels, the intercoolers will not fit there.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very clever of you Twin Turbo but you're not going very far without an engine in there :jester
Old 05-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (Boofers)

Very clever of you Twin Turbo but you're not going very far without an engine in there :jester
maybe tomorrow......
Old 05-04-2004, 04:59 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

i want a twin turbo setup..... :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To these cars don't have a lot of room

Old 05-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come no elec fans on the them? Seems that would be of benefit and would out weigh the powerdraw. Can't say I have ever seen a intercooler with an elec fan so there must be a reason. :confused:
Old 05-04-2004, 06:05 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (Fevre)

The only time the turbo boosts is under hard acceleration. I am guessing that at that time, you chould have good airflow coming through the intercoolers.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: these cars don't have a lot of room (lostpatrolman)

how about adding louvers to the tops of the fenders for added airflow ?

Quick Reply: these cars don't have a lot of room