C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C belt guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 02:05 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C belt guide

The tin thing bolted to the upper control arm shaft that keeps the A/C belt off the control arm area ... know what I'm talking about? How far should it be from the belt?

Either I've got something set up incorrectly, or the belt isn't the right length on the compressor, because that belt is hitting the guide with the a/c on. The belt is tight ... but the belt flex allows it to rub pretty well and I've bent the guide as far down as it will go.

What gives? :bb
Old 05-04-2004, 03:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: A/C belt guide (SanDiegoPaul)

You obviously have a later shark, with the R4 compressor, similar to my old friend's '78, and if you ever find out how to cure that problem...lemme know...alls I can assume is there is something about aftermarket belts, and them being metric these daze, that alows that to happen.....dunno what else to think....

I beleive the taper of the V notch in the older American cars, vs the taper in the V on new belts, is differant, and so typically the belts after a bit of wear have a concave backside, like from riding on too narrow a V groove for the belt....and in our old sharks, that's an issue with the R4 compressor because it's not a regular in it's firing as say an older A6 or newer Sanden/San-something.....

GENE
Old 05-04-2004, 04:25 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: A/C belt guide (mrvette)

Thanks MrVette but it is a '76 Vette. The compressor is the long, 110 pound A-6 unit. Single, 1/2" Vbelt drives it.
:flag
Old 05-04-2004, 08:13 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
:lurk: :nonod:
Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 PM
vette75406
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its should be about 1/2 to 3/8 inch from the belt just enough to keep it off of the dust cover and control arm. Does yours have a part number on it or do you have a picture available, i would like to see if its the same as others ive seen, I have a 75 and would like to buy one of those belt guides, any body got one for cheap they are not using ,
Old 05-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/C belt guide (vette75406)

Paul my 77 did that all the time. I had it bent down as well. All I can say is one your belt is not the right length just changin the angle at which the belt aligns along that tab, 2 maybe your brackets are not all 1976 era stuff and again that changes the angle of the belt.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: A/C belt guide (Cali,68,L-79)

Paul my 77 did that all the time. I had it bent down as well. All I can say is one your belt is not the right length just changin the angle at which the belt aligns along that tab, 2 maybe your brackets are not all 1976 era stuff and again that changes the angle of the belt.

Thanks David that does make sense. BTW wife and I saw you in Fletcher hills the other day but the lights didn't allow us to get close enough together to talk ... we were driving the MonteCarlo

:cheers:
Old 05-05-2004, 12:06 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: A/C belt guide (Cali,68,L-79)

Does yours have a part number on it or do you have a picture available, i would like to see if its the same as others ive seen, I have a 75 and would like to buy one of those belt guides, any body got one for cheap they are not using ,

No P/N is visible ... and when I tried to shoot pix of it last night they were too blurry. I was gonna post them with the original post. I'll try again and let ya know what happens. :crazy: :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To A/C belt guide

Quick Reply: A/C belt guide